Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

....in a galaxy far far away...

Sam

30 million light years away is this big spiral galaxy. It sits just to the left of the constellation Pavo and is very well placed for imaging from my place at the moment. I collected a couple of hours about 2 months ago and got another 3 hours last night, ending up with a total of 5hrs 6mins (51 X 360secs). It was shot at ISO 400 using:

SW 250px on a EQ6 with an ST80 piggy backed at the guide scope.

Canon 1000D (modded) and a QHY5 quide camera

Software included Guidemaster for drift aligning, PHD for Guiding, EQMOD for driving the scope, DSS for stacking, PixInsight 1.6 for processing

lightbucket-albums-lightbucket-s-best-pics-picture6424-ngc-6744-taken-2-sep-10.jpg

Sam

Lovely galaxy. Thanks for sharing. Seems to have a bar at the center. It seems to be closer than the stars shining through it even though I know the galaxy is so much further away than the stars.

What is the glow of to the right and at the top. Is it a stray part of the galaxy or another galaxy further away?

Mark

Archived