SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SharpCap - free Astro Webcam Capture Software

rwg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will test the Basler support in a minute or two :)

Excellent - only had testing on a couple of different models so far, but I'm hopeful it will work with pretty much anything that Pylon 2.3 supports, and if not I'll fix it ;)

Robin

Really pleased to have found this, as I was looking for a new webcam programme having been not happy with previous software which was either not user friendly or kept freezing just when you needed it to work.

I assume the latest version is the one I need SharpCap 1.3.106

Not downloaded it yet as am just updating my AVG before I dare go on the web with my imaging laptop.

Carole

Well that downloaded fine and connected to one of my webcams straight away. On first glance looks extremely user friendly.

Just need some clear skies now to try it out.

Many thanks Robin, will report back results - skies permitting.

Carole

@Carole - glad it's working well for you - hope the sky clears soon.

@Themos - no parallel port yet - I'm looking at that and single frame still captures being two of the main features for 1.4

Robin

I've a request for a modification to the long exposure control. I control my LX modded SPC900NC through some spare I/O lines on the micro-controller of my home built focuser. Could you provide an interface where someone using non-standard hardware could write their own control routines?

I've written an ASCOM switch driver to control the handshaking lines and was starting to write my own capture software when I found SharpCap, which is far better than my attempt would ever be. Looking at your code I can see how I could modify it by writing a class implementing the ILXControl interface and using it in the LXControlFactory class, but then I'd have to make the changes each time you release a new version.

Since serial and parallel ports are disappearing, other people might find this facility useful. Even if you decide not to do this, thanks for a great program.

Noel

Hi Noel,

good time to make this request, since I'm thinking about parallel control support for the next version. What I'll do is create an attribute that you can apply to an assembly implementing ILXControl. Then I'll make LXControlFactory scan for all assemblies in the install folder with that attribute and load the LXControl implementations from each.

This makes the whole thing extensible - if you write an implementation of ILXControl all you have to do is drop the assembly into the install folder and it should get picked up and used automatically.

Hope that makes sense, and glad you're liking the program.

Robin

thanks robin

this is the only capture software i have used and i think its great. tho the other night it would not let me shoot only 1000 frames (first time using sharpcap).but decided to run in unlimited mode but i'm guessing its down to me just starting out

thanks again star

(edit) also when i saved folder to desktop the avi files were also on the desktop not in the folder

thanks robin

this is the only capture software i have used and i think its great. tho the other night it would not let me shoot only 1000 frames (first time using sharpcap).but decided to run in unlimited mode but i'm guessing its down to me just starting out

thanks again star

(edit) also when i saved folder to desktop the avi files were also on the desktop not in the folder

When you clicked the "Start Capture" button you are presented 3 options (in the latest version)

"Unlimited" - Click stop to finsih

"Number of Frames" - Will only take x (the amount you specify) and then finish

"Time Limit" - Will run for a set period of time you specify in HH:MM:SS

What was in you number of frames box? I am confused as you typed

it would not let me shoot only 1000 frames

Do you mean it would NOT let you take 1000 frames or did you mean that it would only let you shoot 1000 frames?

As for you capture location, did you setup a capture location (Under the file Menu) and it failed to put the avi's in that location

I expect that the problem here is the SPC900 drivers again - they don't report frame count information on Win7/Vista, so SharpCap cannot limit by frame count.

Known Issues - rwgastro

I've looked into a workaround but it is not simple to do :)

Robin

In that case Robin, can you acquire the frame/per second from the settings then do a time based capture based on the fps

1000 Frames @ 10fps = 100 Seconds of Capture

This it's just a simple time based capture for 100 seconds (1m20s)

EG. If OS = Vista/Win7 (which can be obtained from the registry) then when a user on these OS put's in a frame count capture you just need to rework the capture seetings from frame count to time count when the PC start's it's capture run

Ok, v1.3.110 is now live - thanks to Sean for the suggestion that let me fix the SPC frame number problem

Here's the fix list:

• Mono Basler cameras should work properly now
  • Frame counting now works for SPC900 cameras and close relatives
  • Application no longer goes see-through when capturing in night mode.

SharpCap 1.3.110 - rwgastro

Robin

Hi Robin,

Just installed .111, then .112 and getting an error trying to connect my SC3 modded SPC900NC in LX mode. I realise you must be working on these updates as we speak (112 came down just after I downloaded .111). I've attached the error file below, not sure if it's something I've done, or something in the program itself...

Keep up the good work!

Alun

P.S. Running XP and camera is a parallel connector, converted to serial then to USB. Worked in Version 1.2.35

SharpcapError01.txt

Flippin' heck, that was a quick response! It's probably something I've done... don't rush just for me as I'm abaout to hit the sack, although if you need more info, I shall post back as soon as I can tomorrow.

Cheers

Alun

No, nothing you've done, I can see what's going on. It's a different problem actually, which is a relief.

If you PM me your email address, I will send you a trial version for you to test tomorrow.

cheers,

Robin

"What was in you number of frames box? I am confused as you typed Quote:"

"it would not let me shoot only 1000 frame"

sorry for not stating correctly i tried to set max capture to 1000 frames but got message saying something (its been cloudy for a while) like unable to run in(what ever it was) and will run in unlimited (mode i believe)

thanks star

[edit] and yes i set folder to desktop after i had finished and checked the netbook the folder was on the desktop and the avi files were alongside the folder on the descktop with some other type of document file.im running windows 7 and can check any info if you wish me to

Alun, thanks for testing - will be uploading a new version later with fixes in.

Lurker, thanks - for donation, much appreciated. Hope you have fun using the program.

star_chaser - try the latest version - you can now limit captures by frame count on the SPC900 cameras, so it should be fine for you.

Robin

Archived