Narrowband

SharpCap - free Astro Webcam Capture Software

rwg

SharpCap 2.1.971 is now available.

This may be the last significant release for SharpCap 2.1 as I am now working on the next version which will have a significant UI refresh.

Anyway, this is what's new in this version :

• Support for ZWO ASI120MM/MC-S (USB3) cameras
  • Add current frame rate to status display.
  • Improved handling of 'absolute' mode focusers, deal with cases where they can be moved by external handset too
  • Updated Chinese translation (thanks again to ZWOptical)
  • Improved detection of cases where the frame rate is too high to display all frames without bogging down the application. Frames won't get displayed but will still get saved when capturing (if your hard disk is fast enough!)
  • Focus score (contrast detection) graph now averaged over several frames to make it easier to follow
  • Fix issues with the active camera not always being marked in the cameras menu
  • Fix bug when using single frame capture from the 'Configure Capture' dialog - subsequent attempts to capture caused a crash

As usual, the installer is available from the SharpCap web site - http://www.sharpcap.co.uk. I usually make new releases available via auto-update about a week after putting them on the web site, just in case there are any significant bugs in the new version.

Robin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone, I wonder if someone can help me with a error that comes up when I click on my camera inova PLB-Cx  this msg says HRESULT 0x8007007E. I've done a search but all I can find its got something to do with a dll file but I don't know which one, I've reinstalled the camera drivers a few times just in case it might of not loaded correctly the camera works with its own software but not with sharpcap. I've downloaded the latest software . pc is i5 win7 x64

Thanks John

post-24363-0-93472100-1406555224_thumb.p

Hi John, this is an issue with the inova directshow drivers which they are working on fixing. I'm working with them to get full support for these cameras in SharpCap, but we aren't there yet. Basically, the ax driver file doesn't seem to get copied to the windows system directory by their driver install, but even when I do that manually I still get a different error.

So, not there yet, but watch this space.

Robin.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks Robin, I thought it was a missing windows file. I did email Rodger about it and he wasn't sure, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my fault with a corrupted windows

thanks for the reply

• 1 month later...

Robin,

FYI. Something has gone amiss in version 2.1.1028. SharpCap loads fine but crashes when you click "Cameras" to select the camera you want to use. Version 2.1.971 works fine. I sent a crash report from within SharpCap.

Thanks for that update - a missing DLL for iNova cameras (which shouldn't really have made a difference, but some error handling that should have dealt with the problem wasn't working right either).

New version uploaded to replace 2.1.1028 that really should work :)

cheers,

Robin

• 1 month later...

Topic: Sharpcap and Orion's StarShoot AutoGuider

First, does the SSAG work with SC ?  Second, if so, I have Windows 7 professional OS and I D/L the drivers from Orion...Neither version of their drivers work for either Win& or XP Compatible.  What am I doing incorrectly ?

Frank

• 1 month later...

Robin!

Thanks for the great software.  Two days ago my laptop died (forgot to plug in power supply) while I was 30 mins through capturing a 45 minute run on Uranus......would the data captured be present somewhere as a temporary file? Ive used SharpCap a lot since so it may not exist any more....

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

SharpCap doesn't use temporary files for capture output - the video is written directly to the target output file, so the only place to look would be where the output file would normally be saved.

I suspect, however, that the system decided this was a bad file (corrupted) when you first rebooted it after the power failure and did away with it at that point. Sorry :(

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin,

Firstly, thanks for your excellent Sharpcap software, I have had great pleasure using it :smiley: . I have an issue which I do not think is Sharpcap's fault at all because other webcam sotware has also stopped connecting to the webcams, but the error messages that Sharpcap throws up look like they would help me solve the issue - trouble is, I don't know how to read them!

I have 3 webcams connected to the laptop (one internal, an LX modded SPC900 and an Xbox cam), all of which worked fine, but none of which do now, though they are still recognised in Device Manager witth drivers installed. I 'm not sure exactly when the issue started so don't know if a software install might be to blame, and I don't have any restore points to go back to.

I really don't know what to do - I can't guide any more and can't use Alignmaster accurately. If you have time would you mind looking at the error log?  Thanks.

Thanks for the fast reply Robin.

Having restarted the laptop it's trying to re-install things so there seems to be a problem with the serial drivers, etc. I'll have a go at re-installing all drivers tomorrow and hopefully that will sort it. If not I'll PM the logs if that's still okay. Thanks.

Hi Robin,

Help!!! I've tried several times to download Sharpcap from the Sharpcap site but sadly it keeps crashing my PC.

When I click on any of the versions (I've tried various, from the newest to the oldest) on the download page I get the usual option of 'open' or 'save'. If I choose 'open' I'm informed that the file is being downloaded, then the usual Explorer security scan takes place. That immediately crashes Explorer and, when I check my downloads folder, it's empty. There's no sign of any downloaded files anywhere on the computer.

If I choose the 'save' option this saves the HTML link to the download page in my downloads folder and, if I click on it, my computer goes into meltdown, with many Internet Explorer windows opening in quick succession. It only stops when I put the HTML link into the recycle bin.

I'm running Win 8.1 on a PC laptop (and desktop). Only software running (on either computer) at the same time as Internet Explorer 11 is AVG (2014 version). I've tried downloading with AVG switched off. No improvement.

Am I doing something incorrect or have I got some weird incompatibility problem with both my computers and the Sharpcap site? I hope you can help (and I hope I've explained things well enough for you to understand!) ..... Thanks in advance.

PS I should add that I've been able to download Stellarium and Registax with no issues.

Hmm, never heard of anything like this before. Firstly, this is the link to the latest version of SharpCap, maybe trying it from this site will work better.

http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/SharpCapInstall-2.1.1050.0.msi.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

If that doesn't help, I would suggest that it would be worth trying an alternate browser for the download (like Firefox or Google Chrome) to see if that helps.

cheers,

Robin

Hooray!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Downloading via Firefox worked without any issues, but what a nightmare it's been to turn Explorer off in Win 8.1! Still, found how to do it in the end (thanks to Google), after which the download and extraction went without a hitch.

Thanks for your help and suggestion Robin. I'm now a happy bunny. All I need now is for it to stop !$#*£^ raining!

Cheers,

Kris

Glad that got things sorted for you - I can't do anything about the rain however...

On a serious note, I'd suggest running a malware/virus scan on your PC - there's just an off chance that Internet Explorer doing weird things might be a symptom of some nasty or other. 'Malwarebytes' is a good option for a one off scan in addition to whatever usual antivirus you might have.

cheers,

Robin

Thanks - once again - for the info. I shall do so asap.

Just had a play with Sharpcap, hooking it up to my modified x-box webcam and Skymax 127 Mak, imaging the sun (yes, it's actually made an appearance!) making sure the sun filter was firmly in place first, and all worked well. I could even see some sunspots so well pleased with my first attempt. :laugh:

I bet it rains tonight though! :embarrassed:

Cheers,

Kris

Hello Robin,

I have Sharpcap 2.1.1050.0 installed and I use a Toucam Philips 750k webcam running on windows 7

Whenever I try to go in [video capture filter] > [filter options] > [show] I get this: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

I sent the error (ID 67632) using the application.

I'll be happy to send anything else you might need and do tests.

Hi,

I can't see your bug report uploaded yet - sometimes the reports upload straight away, sometimes they upload the next time you run SharpCap and sometimes they seem to just disappear :( Haven't got to the bottom of that yet.

Please can you have another go at sending the bug report (maybe more than once!) and I will have another look tomorrow.

cheers,

Robin

Hi,

I can't see your bug report uploaded yet - sometimes the reports upload straight away, sometimes they upload the next time you run SharpCap and sometimes they seem to just disappear :( Haven't got to the bottom of that yet.

Please can you have another go at sending the bug report (maybe more than once!) and I will have another look tomorrow.

cheers,

Robin

I will do that. In the meantime is there a way to run the application with a debug switch to generate a log ? I could not find any logs in the application directory. Is this expected ?

The application creates a debug log, but it doesn't get saved. You can show it from the 'Show Log' option in the Help menu. It will likely show the details of the error at the same time that the submit crash report box appears, and hopefully you'll be able to copy the text of the log out at that point (never tried this before).

cheers,

Robin

Archived