Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

rwg

SharpCap - free Astro Webcam Capture Software

hi i have just downloaded sharpcap looks realy good works with my web cam on my lap top screen ok but when i captur e video it puts them on my desk top can you tell me how i can save them onto a file instead also which web cam do you sugest for a first timmer cheers dean

I've wondered the same thing, but I'm usually too exited about capturing at the time to worry about figuring it out :) I'm gonna make that one of my goals for this evening while I'm sat in the motel room with no internet. Unless some other kind soul can help us both out?

Just use the 'Set Capture Folder' item from the File menu to change the place that the avi files get saved.

You won't go too far wrong buying a Microsoft Lifecam HD Cinema - good for the moon and planets, although a little fiddly to remove the case. Plenty of threads on how to do it though...

Robin

Oh yes, I forgot the other bit! My apologies.

I can highly recommend the xbox live cam. I've not used any others, but these are soooo cheap to try and myself and many others are having great success with it. I paid less than a fiver, delivered. There's a thread dedicated to them if you search the forum. Struggling to post a direct link using my fone but you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

Cheers Robin :)

Edited by Dave7a

Robin

Is it possible to set and/or alter the colour balance setting in the video control panel?

I can set it from the options drop down menu, but cannot spot a listing on the video control panel.

I've searched this thread but cannot find a reference to colour balance, assuming one exists.

I'm running an as-purchased spc880nc webcam

regards

Tony

Not for this camera, no - the SPC900 driver doesn't include the colour balance controls in the ones it makes available directly to programs like SharpCap. Those controls are only available through the video filter dialog. Same for the SPC880 if it is still in that mode...

Robin

Edited by rwg

disregard...latest version fixed it

Edited by ykket

I was going to say that, but you beat me to it :)

Robin

Tonight when I went to start a capture as soon as it started I lost the image on screen and when I stopped it Venus came back in view. It was working fine last night although the laptop froze and crashed at the end.

Any ideas why that happened?

Tonight when I went to start a capture as soon as it started I lost the image on screen and when I stopped it Venus came back in view. It was working fine last night although the laptop froze and crashed at the end.

I've heard (but never seen it myself) that the image can vanish when capturing if the underlying Windows software that is running the capture & preview doesn't think it has enough resources available to run both the capture & preview at the same time. Basically it decides to dump the preview in order to keep the capture working properly.

I guess this could happen if your laptop was doing something else in the background at the same time (virus scan etc). I've also heard of people having similar problems when they don't have the correct graphics drivers for their graphics card, which means it doesn't run at full speed.

None of this would really explain why it worked before then didn't, or why it crashed, so I'm afraid I've not got much useful to add, sorry :)

RObin

Anything is possible I guess, I'll try again later anyway and switch my antivirus off and see what happens. But it was no different than last night.

The laptop has been known to crash in the past so I didn't think anything abnormal of it just that it might be pertinent to the problem.

If problem persists I'll dig deeper I guess.

{disregard...latest version fixed it from Russ @ Ykket} & QUOTE=rwg;2209320]I was going to say that, but you beat me to it ;Robin

Please explain what is being referred to and which latest version.

I've installed SharpCap v 1.5.0.316 and am running an unmodified spc880nc webcam under win7, which identifies the webcam as a spc900nc pc camera.

However, there appears to be no display regarding white colour balance setting in the video control panel, albeit that it can set it from the options drop down menu.

I note two things with the latest version of SharpCap, namely

a display stating

"direct show cameras - new code"

and

a very slow startup of the program once the camera is selected.

Using the auto camera select option causes an even slower startup.

Please advise

regards

Tony

hi guys, ive recently bought microsoft webcam and done the convertsion, i failed to get focus with it so tried in the daylight on an object about 3/4 a mile away i eventually got focus but when i retired it in the evening i failed to get focus again. would there be any settings i could use in sharpcap which may help?

@kiffy,

sorry, failure to achieve focus is a hardware problem - you're not able to get the camera the right distance from the lens/mirror for some reason, so no software settings to help you I'm afraid. You really shouldn't have any trouble with an SCT and a webcam getting to the focus point, so it's probably just that you are finding it hard to spot when you are in focus. With stars/planets it's hard to begin with - is it out of focus but on target, or is it out of the field of view... The moon is a great candidate for first testing - too big to miss easily ;)

@tonyowen

As I replied to you further up the page, the colour balance isn't made available by the drivers for the SPC900 in a way that SharpCap can access, so you'll have to adjust it through the filter dialog.

Robin

thanks for the reply rob, i guessed it wasnt the software (great app by the way!) its just ive struggled the few times ive tried, even on ther moon. distance from the lens shouldnt be an issue as ive used an adapter made to house the cam.. oh well ill keep trying..

thanks again

steve

@tonyowen

As I replied to you further up the page, the colour balance isn't made available by the drivers for the SPC900 in a way that SharpCap can access, so you'll have to adjust it through the filter dialog. Robin

Robin, thanks for the reply, yes I know about the earlier response.

My query regarded the later post(s) copied below:

Originally Posted by ykket

I was going to say that, but you beat me to it

What does ykket's and your response relate to and what do they mean?

regards

Tony

Robin, thanks for the reply, yes I know about the earlier response.

My query regarded the later post(s) copied below:

Originally Posted by ykket

I was going to say that, but you beat me to it

What does ykket's and your response relate to and what do they mean?

regards

Tony

My issue was that I could not select my SPC900 in the camera options using the 'new code', I would have to choose 'old code'. It would error out right away. It turns out that I was a few version behind so I downloaded the latest (as of last week) and it resolved the issue.

My issue was that I could not select my SPC900 in the camera options using the 'new code', I would have to choose 'old code'. It would error out right away. It turns out that I was a few version behind so I downloaded the latest (as of last week) and it resolved the issue.

Thank you Russ

I guess confusion due to overlapping input is an inherent problem with threads.

However, the undoubted benefit of these fora outweigh any puzzlement.

regards

Tony

An update, I still require more investigation but this happens when using the YUY2 setting. I went through the process and that's when the screen went blank but it does still record the avi. So it's possible I wasn't using that setting the night before.

It also decides to freeze and crash the laptop when trying to exit sharpcap.

I'm certain the bulk of the issue is with the crappy laptop

Hi all

I've tried QHY5 with sharpcap but got strange things. The system is a dual core with win XP and 3Gb of memory. Sharpcap is the latest.

A snapshot of the situation in attach. That's the moon BTW.

Any idea what it is?

post-28173-133877754892_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjsc2001

The consensus seems to be that there is something fishy with the QHY5 ascom driver - I think that the image format it returns when you get an image doesn't match the info it reports back on resolution, colour depth etc. It certainly seems that it isn't working with a number of capture programs, not just SharpCap.

If you are interested in running a couple of trial versions to try to get to the bottom of what is going on then pm me your email address and I will try to sort something out.

cheers,

Robin

Hi

I don't think that to be necessary. I wanted to capture the RA rotation so that i could see if my polar align was ok but tried another way and don't need that.

I'm not sure if it's the ascom driver. The camera works in EQALIGN and in PHD.

I keep getting an error when I try to select my SPC900 webcam

I've uninstalled both driver and sharpcap rebooted and completed a fresh install of both and still I get the error

"no combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection"

Does anyone know what is causing this,?

I'm using the philips driver for windows 7 from the philips support site:icon_scratch:

Edited by Teslar

Basically it means that directshow can't find a way to pin together the components that it has available in a way that will let it convert the data format coming from the camera into the format needed to display on the screen.

How can this happen? Maybe if you are running some odd screen colour depth it might be a problem. Stick with 24 or 32 bits per pixel colour depth for the screen and you should be ok on that score.

Another thing that could have happened is that some of the standard filters that come with windows may have been uninstalled or unregistered somehow. Search for 'repair directshow filters. There seem to be a lot of different guides and tools available. One tool that looks promising is 'codec tweak tool', although I haven't used it personally,

Good luck

Robin

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk