Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SharpCap - free Astro Webcam Capture Software

rwg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Robin,

I would just like to say what a cracking piece of software SharpCap is, I am still learning and getting used to things and have built an auto-focuser for USB control to go on a Skymax 127, the design is from www.dt-space.com/sharpsky and it works fine.

One thing I have noticed is there is a 50,000 step limitation in SharpCap which which does not allow enough steps of the motor to obtain full range of the Skymax 127 focus control, 50000 steps = 25 full rotation and the skymax 127 focus can do 27 turns end to end. Is there is a way I can increase this upper limit in a config file or is it hard-coded in the software? Would need to be increased to 54000 to step full range of the mechanical focus control.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

the limit is fixed in the software, so it isn't something you can quickly change. I'll try to work out a way to configure it in the next version - some focusers only need a limit of 0-5000, so I don't want to up the limit to something really large for everyone and make things tricky for others...

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I happen to discover SharpCap from other forums and thought I would give it a go. Unfortunately, it no work...

My setup;

Dell XPS17 with Windows 7 64bit (latest updates)

Philips SPC900NC webcam with driver 1.0.3.37 (23/04/2007)

I start up SharpCap, but it brings up a dialog box with the following information;

SharpCap, Version=1.5.0.302, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: key

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(ExceptionArgument argument)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)

at SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.DeviceNameFixer.FixDeviceName(String p)

at SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.DeviceEnumerator.GetDeviceMenuItems()

at SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.CaptureProvider.GetDeviceMenuItems()

at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.TagDataFromName(ICaptureProvider cp, String deviceName) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\MultiCaptureProvider.cs:line 426

at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.ChooseDevice(String deviceName) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\MultiCaptureProvider.cs:line 395

at SharpCap.SharpCapForm.InitializeFirstPreview() in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\UI\SharpCapForm.cs:line 484

at SharpCap.SharpCapForm.timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\UI\SharpCapForm.cs:line 1256

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

===============================================================

Application Log (from start)

Warning: 15:07:01.2810688 SharpCap.FocuserFinder.TryLoadFocuserProxy(FileInfo fi) :: Failed to loaded FocuserProxy assembly Sharpcap.FocuserProxy.ASCOM.dll because : Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

Debug: 15:07:01.3902690 SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow) :: Started

Warning: 15:07:01.4994692 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider(IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) :: Could not load capture provider - SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider - System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'PylonC.NET, Version=2.3.0.2279, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a77e8471c5919d5a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'PylonC.NET, Version=2.3.0.2279, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a77e8471c5919d5a'

at PylonC.NETSupportLibrary.ImageProvider..ctor()

at SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.Cameras.Basler\BaslerCaptureProvider.cs:line 91

at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider[T](IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\MultiCaptureProvider.cs:line 71

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Debug: 15:07:01.4994692 SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow) :: Started

Warning: 15:07:01.5150693 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider(IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) :: Could not load capture provider - SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerLXProvider - System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'PylonC.NET, Version=2.3.0.2279, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a77e8471c5919d5a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'PylonC.NET, Version=2.3.0.2279, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a77e8471c5919d5a'

at PylonC.NETSupportLibrary.ImageProvider..ctor()

at SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.Cameras.Basler\BaslerCaptureProvider.cs:line 91

at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider[T](IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\MultiCaptureProvider.cs:line 71

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Error: 15:07:01.5618693 SharpCap.Base.Tracer.Trace(LogLevel level, String format, Object[] args) :: Exception from Loading implementation assemby : C:\Program Files (x86)\rwg\SharpCap\LXControllers\inpout32.dll : Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\rwg\SharpCap\LXControllers\inpout32.dll' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

Stack Trace: at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)

at SharpCap.Base.InterfaceFactory`2.ScanDll(String filename) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.Base\InterfaceFactory.cs:line 57

Extra Info:

Debug: 15:07:01.6086694 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Started

Debug: 15:07:01.6086694 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Device notification registered

Debug: 15:07:01.6086694 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Ended

Warning: 15:07:01.6398695 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider(IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) :: Could not load capture provider - SharpCap.Cameras.ASCOMCamera.AscomCaptureProvider - System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ASCOM.Utilities, Version=5.5.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=565de7938946fba7' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'ASCOM.Utilities, Version=5.5.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=565de7938946fba7'

at SharpCap.Cameras.ASCOMCamera.AscomCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow)

Debug: 15:07:01.6398695 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Started

Debug: 15:07:01.6554695 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Device notification registered

Debug: 15:07:01.6554695 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Ended

Info: 15:07:07.1778792 SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.DeviceEnumerator.GetDeviceMenuItems() :: Adding device : Integrated Webcam to menu

Info: 15:07:07.1778792 SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.DeviceEnumerator.GetDeviceMenuItems() :: Adding device : Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera to menu

Info: 15:07:07.5678799 SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.DeviceEnumerator.GetDeviceMenuItems() :: Adding device : to menu

Error: 15:07:08.0358807 System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: key

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(ExceptionArgument argument)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)

at SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.DeviceNameFixer.FixDeviceName(String p)

at SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.DeviceEnumerator.GetDeviceMenuItems()

at SharpCap.Cameras.NewDirectShow.CaptureProvider.GetDeviceMenuItems()

at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.TagDataFromName(ICaptureProvider cp, String deviceName) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\MultiCaptureProvider.cs:line 426

at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.ChooseDevice(String deviceName) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\MultiCaptureProvider.cs:line 395

at SharpCap.SharpCapForm.InitializeFirstPreview() in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\UI\SharpCapForm.cs:line 484

at SharpCap.SharpCapForm.timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Documents\Source Code\trunk\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\UI\SharpCapForm.cs:line 1256

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Hope this helps, and if there is anything I can do to resolve this, then please ask.

Thank in advance

m

@grb,

Thanks for the bug report - think I have managed to fix this one in v1.5.303 which you will find on the downloads page - let me know if you still have any problems

@RogerTheDodger

Trickier one here - the error code basically means 'file not found', but the question is 'which file?' What version of Windows are you running? Should be OK on Win XP sp2 onwards I think, but the will not work on anything older.

cheers,

Robin

I'm getting the same error.

I've uninstalled v1.5 and reinstalled 1.4 as I'm out trying to image Jupiter. I'll give the revised v1.5 a go tomorrow .

TheThing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two problems with 1.5 for me, LX mode doesn't work at all, and if I select the new direct show code it crashes.

Found and fixed this one too now I think - please try build 1.5.304 which should be OK.

This applies to pretty much everyone - update 1.5.302, 1.5.303 to 1.5.304

Robin

The new DirectShow code should be more robust and easier for me to maintain and enhance (after sorting out teething problems). Right now it has the advantage of not having to stop the camera and restart it when switching between preview and capture modes. This is particularly helpful for cameras like the Microsoft Lifecam where stopping and restarting can completely throw off your brightness/gain setup.

Robin

Hi rwg,

Was trying to post a mesasge on the forum with bad news, as 1.5.303 did not work, but my internet was no working...

However, having read your posts tonight, installed v1.5.304 - it now works :)

So all i need is some time, clear skies and some energy :(

Cheers

m

just a quickie...

had a good 10minutes with the webcam connected to the laptop running SharpCap. My first impression was just how easy it was too use. Much easier than k3ccd. The use of the camera settings on the right panel is super and in real-time.

more viewing later (jupiter is next on the list).

m

I am using sharpcap with a win xp netbook. When I start a capture the program goes opaque so I can see the desktop behind it and makes it difficult to select settings. I have upgraded ram to 2gb on Advent 4211. I see other people use netbooks without any issue. Anyone got any ideas? I also have just received one of yesyes' lx modded spc900 with just the usb connection.

Jen

Hi Jen,

try turning off night mode (if you have that switched on). The night mode is done by making the window slightly transparent and putting a dull red window behind it, but on some machines it seems to have problems and give the sort of result you are describing.

The other thing that has helped with this is updating the graphics drivers for the computer.

hope this helps,

Robin

When I use Single Fame Capture with my SPC900 Webcam or even my laptop webcam it fails and I get an error report. Have you any idea what might cause this. Thanks.

Two things to do - 1: check you are on the latest version (1.5.304); 2: if it still breaks then send me the error message text via PM - that usually lets me work out what is going wrong.

cheers,

Robin

I am using sharpcap with a win xp netbook. When I start a capture the program goes opaque so I can see the desktop behind it and makes it difficult to select settings. I have upgraded ram to 2gb on Advent 4211. I see other people use netbooks without any issue. Anyone got any ideas? I also have just received one of yesyes' lx modded spc900 with just the usb connection.

Jen

HI jen,

I have the same Advent notebook and i can run sharpcap fine without an upgrade of ram. Is ur hard disk nearly full? maybe this is the reason its not running properly..? Just a thought!

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone give some quick guidance ( sorry if it has been asked before but I have searched, honestly ). I have a virgin Vista desktop that I am going to install SharpCap on to. I am about to modify a Lifecam Cinema. What ( apart from SharpCap ) do I have to install onto the desktop to drive the lifecam to its full fps capabilities ?

Thanks,

David

Just SharpCap should be fine - modern webcams implement what is called 'USB Video Class' which means that they should work fine without installing special drivers - the drivers are built into Windows.

Special drivers for cameras sometimes enable extra functionality but more often just install 'bloatware' system tray apps and other rubbish.

Robin

Hi, I am asking for some guidance from fellow Sharpcap users.

Take Jupiter which I am sure many people here use with an SPC900 and sharpcap. Now when I try and image the resultant image on the laptop screen is very poor and only just recognisable as Jupiter. I want to improve so I am asking a few questions on how to setup Sharpcap better.

1) Which resolution is better to use (320x240 or 640x480) to get a clearer image during processing?

2) I user 5fps, is this better?

3) Where should the Gain slider be? left (value 0) or right (value 64) or middle (value 32)

4) Where should the Gamma slider be?left (value 0) or right (value 31) or middle (value 16)

I ask about the sliders as they just seem to be either completley black or loads of noise and either way I can not see the equatorial belts on Jupiter even though when looking through an EP they are perfectly clear and visible in detail.

Thanks

Archived