Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Strange new street light

matt c

Hi everyone just thought I'd post some pictures of the new lights being installed around my house....

46874eeeef.jpg

They're pretty strange looking and look as though they'll direct the light straight downwards where it's supposed to be aimed. Has anyone else seen these yet?

They look like these WRTL Exterior Lighting - Street lighting I Main road lighting I Side road lighting from Indal WRTL . In there promotional 'blurb' they do make positive reference to light pollution and the Campaign for Dark Skies but also make a slight play on crime in the community and lighting too . Hope that they are an improvement . It is a tricky path with getting the light on the ground and not up into the sky .

The LED light may well be 'whiter' and thus difficult to filter out when imaging.

Regardless of the technology, lights use energy. Engergy costs money. Councils don't have money. Present them with a few sums on cost saving. I'm struggling along with my county council on this issue. Keep nagging and plugging and they wil eventually take notice.

Old fashioned mercury and sodium lights are relatively easy to filter out. High pressure sodium, halogen and led are a big big problem.

Matt, Did you get out observing last night, and what was the verdict?

Nah haze and cloud set in pretty early, I'm waiting for the light installed in my back garden to be turned on so I can asses the damage. I'm not sure how to cope with such a bright light nearby, maybe I'll put a sheet over my head and flock my dob (when I get one). Or maybe an angle grinder might do the trick :o

Archived