Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I like my binoculars but......

neilm

I have a scope and I also have a couple of pairs of bins; Leica “Trinovid” which I bought about 5ish years ago for about £180 in my pre-astro days. These are optically great but they’re only 8X20 so not exactly good for astro work and I’m thinking to see if my local camera exchange (London Camera Exchange) will give me a few quid for them. My others are Nikon “Action EX” which I specifically bought for astro work about six months ago, which are 10X50, a bit more respectable. I like using the bins just to sit and scan the sky and now wish I got something a “bit bigger”, before I spend even more money if anyone can provide a couple of answers to some questions I’d be most grateful...

Is there an equivalent of a telescope “barlow” lens for binoculars to increase magnification to say 15X. I can’t see any threads in the eyepieces some I guessing not but someone may/will no better I’m sure!

I’ve seen that FLO are selling of Celestron 15x70 cheap, even at full price of £70 these seem relatively “inexpensive” compared to what I paid for the Nikon’s, £150. So are the Celstrons optically inferior, would I be disappointed if I also flogged off the Nikons and get the Celestrons or something similar.

My scope sits on a camera tripod so I can easily swap between scope/bins as and when I’m in mood.

All advice welcome.

Cheers

Neil

Is there an equivalent of a telescope “barlow” lens for binoculars to increase magnification to say 15X.

Yes, they are called "tele-adaptors" but they are proprietary, i.e. will usually only fit for the binocs for which they are designed. The only one I have used, but do not own, is the Opticron 2.5x.

I’ve seen that FLO are selling of Celestron 15x70 cheap, even at full price of £70 these seem relatively “inexpensive” compared to what I paid for the Nikon’s, £150. So are the Celstrons optically inferior, would I be disappointed if I also flogged off the Nikons and get the Celestrons or something similar.

I think you would be disappointed. The Action Extremes that I have sen through have been tangibly superior, optically and mechanically, to the Celestron (and other branded Kunming Optical binocs) 15x70. When ever a binoc is praised as being "good for the price" and the price is low, you can be pretty sure that this is code for "actually, it's not that good really." Sorry if I come across as an optical snob but, if you are used to Leica quality, Celestron 15x70 quality will be a big let-down. IMNSVHO, of course.

I hope that helps, but do solicit other opinions -- my advice may only be worth what it cost. :o

I agree mostly with Steve.

Anyhow a good step up would be a 15x70. It's a very versatile size. Best of course mounted wich you can allready do from what i've read but still a 15x70 can still be handholded for short periods of time.And a 15x70 sees really a lot more then a 10x50.

You might consider the Apollo 15x70 wich is very good quality allthough is a Chinese bino. Comes close to the famous Fujinon 16x70, no kidding.

I have a scope and I also have a couple of pairs of bins; Leica “Trinovid” which I bought about 5ish years ago for about £180 in my pre-astro days. These are optically great but they’re only 8X20 so not exactly good for astro work and I’m thinking to see if my local camera exchange (London Camera Exchange) will give me a few quid for them. My others are Nikon “Action EX” which I specifically bought for astro work about six months ago, which are 10X50, a bit more respectable. I like using the bins just to sit and scan the sky and now wish I got something a “bit bigger”, before I spend even more money if anyone can provide a couple of answers to some questions I’d be most grateful...

Is there an equivalent of a telescope “barlow” lens for binoculars to increase magnification to say 15X. I can’t see any threads in the eyepieces some I guessing not but someone may/will no better I’m sure!

My scope sits on a camera tripod so I can easily swap between scope/bins as and when I’m in mood.

All advice welcome.

Cheers

Neil

Yes, tetenterre is right. If you want to "move up" in quality as well as size but not too big then a pair of pentax 20x60's may do you. They seem to get good reports over on cloudynights forum. About £200.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm assuming the reference to "Apollo 15x70" are the Helios Apollo, which having looked at FLO look to have a good spec. And the Pentax, yes some good reviews on various sites and somewhat less expensive, we have to watch the pennies. Just one thing with the Pentax though is the statement "the field of view is narrow", should that be a concern? after all I'm exactly looking at objects that are close to me.

Thanks

Neil

I did have a pair of Pentax 20x60's,the FOV is only 2.2° but it's one of the best 2.2° FOV's you will see in binoculars. I did move onto the Garrett Signature 15x70's,same BA8 series as the Helios Apollo.

Never seen a bad review of this series of binoculars.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm assuming the reference to "Apollo 15x70" are the Helios Apollo, which having looked at FLO look to have a good spec. And the Pentax, yes some good reviews on various sites and somewhat less expensive, we have to watch the pennies. Just one thing with the Pentax though is the statement "the field of view is narrow", should that be a concern? after all I'm exactly looking at objects that are close to me.

Thanks

Neil

Yes,actually i was going to mention that. The pentax is good but has a very small field of view. Indeed only 2.2° and one of the advantages of a binocular over a telescope should be the big FOV. I have allready a 2° FOV in my 8" OO telescope with the pan 24.....makes you think...

The indeed "Helios Apollo 15x70" better referred as the Kunming BA8 series of binocular has allready a 4.4° FOV. Quite pleasing.

A bit more expensive but worth every penny IMHO.Very good binos just as Argonaut stated.

Archived