Narrowband

Hello from Lewes

Barmyrob

I'm Rob and I'm from Lewes in East Sussex.

Hoping to get some useful help and advice on East Sussex dark skies sites and eventually help and advice on a telescope.

For now I am armed with Stellarium for the Mac, Distant Suns for the iPhone and a Phillips Planisphere.

Plan to buy some bins in a couple of weeks - Helios Naturesport-Plus 10x50 most likely - any advice greatly received.

The reason I'm joining/starting now - well I was always fascinated with the stars & planets - as a kid I visited Herstmonceaux Observatory and was fascinated by it - so much so that afterwards I wrote to Jimmy Saville asking him to fix it for me to go to an observatory - didn't happen. But my fascination didn't end - a visit to the now defunct London Planatarium, and a selection of books kept me interested.

Unfortunately through my teens I became even more fascinated with the world of Archaeology - to the point where I gave up Physics A Level so I could concentrate on History.

Ho hum - the fascination never left me - I always loved to look at the stars - kept up an amateur interest science, especially in physics and cosmology, and have recently signed up to do an OU undergraduate degree in Physical Sciences. I'm hoping to work my way through all the astronomy/cosmology/astrophysics courses and so the desire to look once again at the stars and planets - this time in a more disciplined way - may have some practical uses.

Rob

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob,

A very warm welcome to SGL, our sponsor FLO has some Celestron 15x70 bins on special offer at the moment, they are on the heavy side and you will need a tripod at some time, members report they are good value for astro bins, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

This seems as good a place as any to make my first post here...

I'm just up the hill from Lewes - hello down there! I've got a dark enough sky to the east for my 3" tasco scope that I've not made a habit of leaving the back garden so can't help on the good sites.

As with many new member posts I'm also considering a purchase - a bigger scope in my case. :o

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

Looks as if your getting yourself suitably 'tooled' up for observing. Have fun with stellarium - great bit of kit and don't forget the search facility at the top of the page (if you hadn't spotted it) as its good to check out past questions/answers especially on kit which of course will include binos.

Clear skies and look forward to reading your reports on what you've been looking at!

James

Welcome Rob! I'm over in Bexhill, so not far from you, and I work in Lewes, so even closer!

I used to work at the Herstmonceux Science Centre and it was great fun. I recommend going to the events over their weekend, as they always put on a good show.

Archived