Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31

dark star

The night started off badly when I managed to knock my finder scope off my Intes MK 66 Mak telscope (don't ask!). The finder scope is fine but I sheered off the screw that I used to attach it to the telescope. I continued without a finder scope using a Skywatcher Aero 30mm EP.

First I tried to find M57, as I am dying see this through the Intes MK 66. I gave up because of no finder scope making it impossible to find.

I then looked for M31 the Andromeda galaxy. I have never found this, probably due to light pollution.

l Looked through my 15x70 binoculrs, using the V in Cassiopea to aim in the right direction (I can't remember the name of the star in Cassiopea.) I saw a feint smudge. I aimed my telscope in the same direction and saw a better defined smudge.

I can't believe I have finally seen a galaxy!

I also saw an amazing star cluster in Perseus, I am pretty sure it was the double cluster, another first for me.

I am off to bed now with a smile on my face!

The weather has drastically improved in sussex in the last two weeks and finally been able to use my new scope regularly. Also had a peek at M31 the other night,but the moon was a bit bright and close and seemed to really affect the view. Planning some extensive viewing next week though,so hopefully get a better look then.

The weather has drastically improved in sussex in the last two weeks and finally been able to use my new scope regularly. Also had a peek at M31 the other night,but the moon was a bit bright and close and seemed to really affect the view. Planning some extensive viewing next week though,so hopefully get a better look then.

Galaxies really benefit from dark skies - any moonlight, twilight, or any other kind of light really kills them.

A good reason to go to star parties - M51 with a 12" from my back garden = 2 fuzzy blobs, M51 with a 12" under a dark sky at the SGL4 star party (April 2009) = clear spiral arms and hints of the "bridge" appearing to link the two galaxies - big difference :o

If my shifts fit with one I'm hoping to go to a star party with my girlfriend. We do have a decent country park nearby to Hastings we go to. Pretty dark out there considering we're in south east england.

Archived