SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Tube Rings

weareborg

Hi guys & gals

Has anyone had any problems with the Skywatcher tube rings scratching the tube when you move the OTA? When I first set up my new scope, I had to re-balance my tube, so I slackened off the tube rings, and when I slid the tube along, the result was a rather annoying 2 inch scratch on the tube :). After examining the insde of the tube rings, I noticed that the felt lining doesn't go from edge to edge, but just done the centre. I personally think that this is area where felt should be from edge to edge to help prevent such a thing from happening in the first place. Of course, it could of just been my fault for not slackening the tube rings enough, but I thought I would ask if anyone else had had he same problem.

Andy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pop into your local hab..haberdasrriy...Err Woolworths and get some flocking material, a sort of thin felt material. Re-line the rings with that.

The original stuff has probably moved or worn out..

Pop into your local hab..haberdasrriy...Err Woolworths and get some flocking material, a sort of thin felt material. Re-line the rings with that.

The original stuff has probably moved or worn out..

I'll nip into woolies this week and see what they got.

cheers

andy

ps. hope they not moved or worn out. only had scope since tuesday :)

Hi Andy,

I've not had a scratch, but I always 'brick it' when I need to rotate my scope. Probably doing it in the dark doesn't help. :)

Good luck with the 'upgrade material'. :thumbright:

I'm going to save up for the rotatable rings I saw on [i think] Scopes'n'skies, eariler in the year. But haven't seen them on there yet, nudge, nudge, wink, wink :)

James

Had exactly the smae problem with my 8" Skywatcher. Got a massive scratch on my tube. Just be thankfull that the scratch on the tube doesn't affect performance... But I do know the colour of the undercoat used on my BLACK tube... YELLOW :shock:

Ant

Odd, I have never had anyone report this back to me.

After reading the comments here, I took some rings off the shelf and had a look. They all seem fine; no sharp edges. I checked six different sizes.

I guess it is either bad luck or a bad batch that is behind the reports here... Unless the felt (it is quite thin) compresses over time :scratch:

Thanks for taking the time to check the other rings Steve. On hindsight it may have been my own fault for not slackening off the tue rings enough, but saying that, I would of expected the felt lining to cover the whole of the rings.

Andy

Go to a haberdashery [sp], they sell wooden rings - which are used to hold some fabric tight while they embroider (I think).

You can get these at various sizes. I've seen these work quite well.

Ant

Archived