740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

EQ6 PAE

How does PAE work on an EQ6 (v3.25)? I've just woken the mount up from park (wasn't moved) and GOTO is 'off by a bit' - the target is just out of the FOV of the eyepiece. So hopefully I can just sync with PAE to fix it, but I can't figure out how (and don't have the manual to hand).

When I select the PAE option, should there be any acknowledgement from the handset something happened? After the "recenter" bit I press enter but it goes back to the menu - not sure if it did anything, and GOTO is still off...

Ben, that's exactly what happens on my NEQ6.

I slew to an object then press escape until I get back to the top level menu (it says setup...) then you hold down ESC for two seconds. It asks you to recentre and after you do and press enter it goes back to the menu.

I've just aligned my polar scope and before I did this it was off after PAE suggesting I had a bad polar alignment. Now, if I use PAE, it's pretty good.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Do you do PAE after the initial (off target) slew, or after slewing then finding the object manually? I did the latter, and PAE seemed to allow me to go elsewhere and then back to the object that I did PAE on well, but didn't improve GOTO generally.

In the end I gave up and did a new 3-star align, and that was fine.

In the past i've been used to being able to 'sync' a mount on an object, which applies a global correction to a pointing model. I'm not sure if that's what PAE does or if it's a local correction. It's a bit frustrating though, as for an observatory mount i'd really like to wake it up and go - for a couple of nights this has worked fine, but then suddenly everything's a half-degree off.

I've looked at the manual and it says that you should slew and manually centre then PAE recentre. This is what you're doing. I've done it the other way round - slew, PAE adjust & recentre.

PAE adjusts the whole sky model and you should be using a star as the manual describes: "This star should be a known bright object that is located in the same part of the sky with the object of interest". So I guess you have to pick one of the named stars in the synscan list.

The manual says that you shouldn't need to make an adjustment after 3-star alignment if you've parked before shutdown - unless something changed. Either the date/time source isn't accurate(or the same this) or the mount has been moved/changed.

It's confusing - if your setup hasn't changed it should still be aligned as it was?

EDIT: SynScan star list thread:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/104269-synscan-alignment-star-list.html

Edited by mark7331

It's confusing - if your setup hasn't changed it should still be aligned as it was?

Yeah, that's what confused me - the other night I woke it, updated time/date, said no to alignment, started tracking and slewed to the western sky (the OTA was pointing due east, so a big slew right across the sky) and it was spot on. Very impressive. Last night, same thing, but pointing was out and remained out until I redid the 3-star align.

Sure I didn't move the setup, so no idea what happened... time/date was accurate to within a minute.

I think the pointing error was too large to be a simple time error - the Ethos has a TFOV of 1.2 degrees in my 'scope, and targets were a touch outside that, so I guess a pointing error of 1.5-2 degrees.

Ho hum, one of those things I guess. Quite fancy the GPS module, but not cheap.