Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

cottongt

Hello

Hi, just thought i would say hi to everyone.

Astronomy has always been a interest of mine but i never had the money to buy any equipment. But now i have left uni and have a job, i can start spending my hard earned cash, so you may see a few threads starting up regarding 'scope choices if i get too stuck on which one to buy.

Oh, im from south east england with all the rain and clouds ;)

Neil

Welcome to the forum Neil. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, you'll always find everyone willing to advise. Oh, and the clouds you have now are nothing compared to the ones that will appear when you get your scope ;)

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.

Take your time in researching the kit but better still, get along to your local astro club for an observation evening, attend a star party or seek out a local observing group, all of who can help reveal what you are going to see for a given aperture/budget. No need to rush as the stars aren't going anywhere!!

Clear skies in the meantime

James

hi and welcome, we seem to be in a simalar place with all the rain and clouds its just not fair oh well tonights clear hopefully the clouds won't ruin it ;)

Enjoy the Lounge Neil with lots of advice here so you can buy the right gear to start.

JohnH.

Hi Neil,

A very warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Welcome Neil.

While you think about a telescope but don't decide for any specific size/apperture or telescope design, think about buying binoculars. A pair of inexpensive 10X50 is just fine and will already show you a lot on the night sky and allow you to get to know it. This way, when later you hava a telescope, you already know your way.

Enjoy this amzing hobby.

Rui

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Yer there's no rush to buy anything, just trying to find what's suitable for me. binoculars are a good idea, my birthday is in two weeks so I'll ask for a pair to get me around the sky first.

Hi Neil, welcome to SGL.

If you haven't already got it, check out Stellarium, it's free and very helpful getting to find your way round.

It's also good for planning what to look for and when.

Stellarium

Enjoy!

Welcome Neil - I can tell you, there are more rain clouds in the South West! Been a dreadful few weeks for viewing herte. I'm set up right now, hoping the clouds will eventually pass over tonight.