Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Excellent

I have so far focussed on R band and i'band on it, as the coma is quite diffuse (talking about this last night). I may stick a V band on it as well and see what comes up.

Have a run later today on FTS, but am working on some other projects as well

Tracked 103P Hartley down this evening with my 12". Quite a hard one visually to find at the mo. Diffuse and ill-defined at low magnifcation. At x140 I could detect a stellar-like central brightening, which seemed to be ever so slightly off-centre.

Made a quick sketch as the cloud rolled in. I'll put that up tomorrow at some point. :D

"Ill-defined" aptly describes it, i saw it last night with the 16" and as i mentioned in another thread, it was unimpressive no matter what magnification was used.

Haven't been able to find it with my 10" so far but then, I've never tried to find a comet with a scope before. Pretty sure I've been looking in the right place. Maybe if it's as inconspicuous as people have been suggesting, I've looked straight at it and taken it for a dim star?

Its too big to mistake for a star. More like the faint galaxy NGC 185 to me...

Near a triangle of stars tonight!

Mark

hi guys,

Just signed up for this forum after reading this post! I was trying to grab a look at 103p tonight but couldn't find it at all with my 8" Dob. Relieved to know there is nothing wrong with my scope (or eyes!) .... it's just a little faint at the moment.

Thanks and hi!

Stefan

I THINK i spotted it last night due south of the furthermost right star in Cass. I cant be sure but i think so. It was just a fuzzy blur in my 130P.

Hi. Re: comet 103P Hartley.

Date 17th September 2010.

The inner comma is about 10" of arc. It is not so bright as predicted. The extended coma has a pretty faint surface brightness. Bright Moonlight the next week is going to hamper viewing and imaging this comet. After this Lunar period one should be able to start seeing it well.

John

IAU code J93. UK.

Edited by MTO-J93

P/Hartley 2 (103P) is brightening. So is the Moon. Good observing.

John

IAU code J93.

Edited by MTO-J93

Visually yes indeed...Imaging it's still pretty easy

R band mag is around 9.8 now.

I agree with the 13.7 mag sbr after viewing many galaxies of this order. It certainly was only just possible in a 10 inch with averted vision, very easy to miss.

Mark

And the photometric R band is matching what I am getting. Toni Scarmato of tghe comet and asteroids group and Epoxi FB group has put together this light curve which may help people decide when they can attempt to see it visually

post-14410-133877483286_thumb.jpg

Edited by NickH

I agree with the 13.7 mag sbr after viewing many galaxies of this order. It certainly was only just possible in a 10 inch with averted vision, very easy to miss.

Mark

Hmmmm ok i'm guessing it wasnt what i saw.

Thanks Julian

For the link That map will be handy as it passes under Cassiopeia will be a good place to spot it I will have to go back and have another look at Sir Patrick,s Sky at Night :)

Doug

Essex

Hmmmm ok i'm guessing it wasnt what i saw.

Maybe Paul...the magnitude estimations on this one have ranged from 7.2 to 13.7 on the same day!!!...problem is both the way it's being measured and also the exceptionally diffuse coma, which I had penned at 9.3 arcmins on the same day a russian team had it at 17.5 arcsecs

R band estimations from faulkes and others using bessel R on CCD seem to match up to within a magnitude or two still, but the visual

ones are really varying

So don't give up

Oh i dont intend to give up. I know it is passing below Cass right now so i will do my best to spot it.

I have added the Hartley info into Stellarium and it shows me where it is.

I cant but think that many people will mistake M31 for Hartley.

They are both in the same region of space right now.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Oh i dont intend to give up. I know it is passing below Cass right now so i will do my best to spot it.

I have added the Hartley info into Stellarium and it shows me where it is.

I cant but think that many people will mistake M31 for Hartley.

They are both in the same region of space right now.

or even M32 which is probably about the same size too? not had a go at this as I cannot really see the stars of Lacerta very well at all from my garden. hoping it gets a lot brighter later in the month/October.

Hi Here are my 60 second exposures plus astrometric and photometric measures for P/Hartley 2 (103P)

John at IAU code J93.

untitled

or even M32 which is probably about the same size too? not had a go at this as I cannot really see the stars of Lacerta very well at all from my garden. hoping it gets a lot brighter later in the month/October.

Oh yeah. I forgot about M32.

I was all set to observe/image this tonight, maps draw using the mag 13 triStar map, and they have completely changed the forecast! Will now be clouded out. But tomorrow should be clear. Time to re-draw the maps. Good luck to anyone else looking for it tonight.