Basic imaging with a webcam and dob

Hi, as something of a beginner I am slowly learning the sky visually via a Skywatcher 200P dob but the lure of imaging is starting to be felt. I was given a cheapo Logitech webcam (and laptop!!) and made an adaptor for the focusser in the dob. This has managed some great pictures of the moon but what else is such a basic setup capable of and what software would be useful? The supplied logitech drivers for example only capture wmf movie clips. Is it possible to capture raw AVI clips with such a basic device? Anyone had any experience in this neck of the woods? What sensible limit is there to what I could expect to get pictures of?

Sory, lots of questions there, any help gratefully appreciated.

I would think your number one problem will be objects drifting out of the field of view. That said, have a go at Jupiter, use a capture program like AMCAP (very basic, but free) to record an avi, and process in registax. With Jupiter, you want to keep the duration of the avi down as Jupiter spins so fast (60 seconds @ 5 fps should be ample for a test). See how that turns out, and go from there.

HTH

Thanks for that, Jupiter is indeed the next intended target. I will give AMCAP a try (not heard of it before). I did download registax but was stuck because of the webcam file format. Re the drift rate, the video clips I took of the moon demonstrate this very well! I will keep you posted.

Archived