Narrowband

Hi from an initiate in North Hampshire

Wbarkingmad

Hi, I have recently taken the plunge into astronomy and internet forums at roughly the same time and thought I'd say hello. I have always had a fascination for what is outside the atmosphere and having recently moved to a relatively dark village location, indulged myself in a telescope. The 'scope in question is a Skywatcher 200P dob (its already had its mount modified (I'm an engineer, I can't help myself)). FLO pointed me at SGL and here I am. The dob has been a truly great way of getting a feel for what is out there, highly recommended. It is remarkably amenable to engineering mods too. The mount now has PTFE bushing, seperate handles for aiming, carrying and friction adjustment and, crowning glory, a very old brass setting circle for azimuth. One of those digital angle gauges for alt and I'm well set. Eyepieces are being accumulated as we speak.

First light was Saturn - truly awe inspiring for a beginner - and since then, most of the obvious clusters, Jupiter, Mars, lots of Moon, M31, M51 just about, the Ring Nebula and the Dumbbell Nebula. Roll on darker nights.

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.

I have to say that no matter how many times I have seen Saturn, in fact all the items in your list CONTINUE to amaze me and I am far from bored looking at them again and again. This might sound like a bit of a confession but when I set all the gear up, the first thing I do is to revisit a lot of the first objects I ever saw just to say "hello, how are you doing". Yes you're probably right, I might be need of assistance from a couple of guys in white coats but hey, that for me is what visual astronomy is all about, making the unimaginable, possible.

Clear skies for your continued observing!!

James

Hi James,

Interested to hear your comments, you are right, these sights never become passe. Funnily enough I always try to end an observing session on a familiar target just to get that buzz and keep the appetite whetted.

Suffice to say I'm well hooked...

Hi James,

Interested to hear your comments, you are right, these sights never become passe. Funnily enough I always try to end an observing session on a familiar target just to get that buzz and keep the appetite whetted.

Suffice to say I'm well hooked...

While I'm still waiting for the clouds to go away ......... ;)

Will it never end ? <sob>

Hi Pete,

A very warm welcome to SGL, you really have immersed yourself into the hobby and as an Engineer you are making those little modifications which help to improve the use of equipment, even if it`s only simple, if you have something which may be useful to the rest of us you might like to post it in our DIY section, enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Pete. Saturn is totally amazing every time I see it as are each of the objects. Some grab our imagination more than others but my breath is taken away so much every time. I too like to end my obs/imaging sessions with an "old friend" as you do and as James does when I setup I slew to them to say "hello". What a bunch we are. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Mark

Pete, Welcome from me, another North Hampshire Dweller from the Orange skies of Basingstoke :-)

Hi to ezza123, I'm actually about 3 miles north of Basingstoke and my village is very poor and can't afford many streetlights... hooray! This is what finally spurred me into getting a telescope! Are you a member of Basingstoke astronomical society?

Archived