1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

telrad/rdf??

The Telrad has a "display" that effectivly projects three concentric circles against the sky. They are very easy to use and, as an owner of one, I can't speak too highly of them! I believe the rdf projects just a "dot" which is fine BUT it is nowhere near as easy to "star hop" to your taeget as with the rings of the Telrad.

I'd like to add that a Telrad and RDF both do a similar job, but the Telrad is a lot

larger than a RDF, so the RDF may be more suited to a smaller scope.

Some RDFs don't go dim enough for night time astronomy use, but a resistor can

be added to sort this. The Telrad goes dim enough without modification.

HTH, Ed.

The Telrads brilliant though - I do all my star-aligning with this to set up the GoTo (you have to then fine tune the align in the scope of course) - its really easy with the Telrad though, and the matches are always spot-on. The ability to increase & decrease the brightness of the concentric sighting circles is also a big plus - for fainter start it is in fact critical, and really does enable much faster and more accurate star hopping. It is fairly big (but very light), but no bigger than a normal finderscope size.

Another Telrad fan. The 4 degree circle gives you context and scale while a dot is just a dot. FInding things is way easier. They are also simple and reliable. I've had two for about 8 years. No problems. And they take proper batteries, not watch type.

Olly

Hi. Yes a Telrad is hard to beat for all the reasons mentioned.

But the Rigel Quickfinder has its fans too. Can any users say if they go dim

enough for astronomy use, without adding a resistor like I've needed to with

my RDFs ?

Cheers, Ed.

• 2 weeks later...

Same dilema for me.

I have owned a RDF and I have now bought a Multi Red dot finder which has crosshair's etc. But I still find the main problem with these is that if I move my head ever so slightly from left to right this moves the dot light years in respect.

So my question to Telrad owners is: Is this as big a problem??

Thanks,

Michael

Don't know about two eyes, never thought about it! Telrad every time for me. AA batteries that last for ever and cost nothing, totally reliable over many years, circles provide more scale info than dots.

Wonderful bit of kit, really it is.

Olly

I agree, Telrad transformed my dob's usability.

Only downside is that it seems to attract dew like nothing else ever invented. However, cheap foam cover arched over the top of the whole thing solves that problem. Someone made up a very simple and neat one using velcro pads stuck to the side of the telrad for easy attachment and removal. There are many other designs though - heated one is shown on this site in the DIY section.

John