SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

finding objects with a dobsonian

I am still relatively new to most on here and have two dobs so can hopefully offer advice that will help too. this is especially so as I have a dob which I cannot currently balance - solution in the pipeline - and so cannot use my usual method which I am missing badly on the newer 6" scope I am really gnashing my teeth to use properly! In fact I love dobs so much I have sold my refractor and mount.

Some good advice so far of course. my own 'must buys' for use with most scopes but certainly manually driven dobs is as follows (in rough order of essentialness (OK not a word, I know!!)):

1. Telrad or Rigel Quikfinder - this will quite literally transform your ability to find things as you can position the scope in almost the right spot. Place it as far up the scope as you can
  2. Right angle finder - preferably a 50mm objective. I recommend the Orion / Skywatcher 9x50mm RACI - it is excellent. This does two things. Prevents severe neck cricking cf. a straight finder. Also, everything is the right way up so in my eyes easier to follow.
  3. Wide field eyepiece, maybe around 30-35mm for the average dob.
  4. Good book eg http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/111106-illustrated-guide-astronomical-wonders-first-impressions.html or Turn Left at Orion. Also lots online to download eg Messier Maps and also Stellarium - free software. I prefer books.

My method is Telrad the main closest visible star. This will then be in the optical RA finder. The star hop using the RA finder and the book etc, to the place you think the target should be. Hopefully it's in the scope eyepiece. If not check your placement. If it is, select a suitable eyepiece and away you go!

Hope this helps. :blob10:

item no 4 ordered:D as to item no 2 i,ve seen 2 ra finders(skywatcher)on the FLO site one labeled as an erecting finder,any preferance or do either do the job well? cheers........ged

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good red dot or similar finder is essential IMO. I can strongly recommend a telrad as the 3 circles makes it easier to starhop to targets away from bright stars.

Regarding GOTO I have some mixed feelings. I prefer to starhop and learn the sky. when I started I never used goto. Now I find myself using it when I get those perfect nights as it allows me to spend more time observing. So its always nice to have it as an option as long as you don't sacrifice aperture to get it.

I have both. personally I'd buy a Telrad as the eye placement seems a little easier than the Rigel and it has an additional circle which helps sometimes. they are pretty much the same. a Rigel has a much smaller footprint. you get them used every now and again but not often and you might save a tenner if you wait, I'd just get one if I were you.

Finders - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

Telrad Red Dot Finder

if you get the Telrad, make or buy a cover to protect from dew

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/99727-telrad-frost-dew-cover.html

or I got a new one ready made from AstroBoot for £3

ok this is it item no 1 now sorted,new telrad on the way:p but also that tubular looking object that these items help you to use is also winging its way to sutton in ashfield:D:D

courtesy of FLO 1 x skywatcher 200p skyliner dob:headbang::blob10::headbang:

will wait and see for item no 3 as i,m not sure yet what to get

thanks all:hello2:

will do moonshane once i,ve got the hang of a few basics i,ll look into eyepieces more but for now the chalenge will be pointing the scope the right way up:Dthanks again for the advice m8:headbang:

you've certainly gone a long way to making it easier from day one with the additional bits you've bought.

don't forget to align your finders (on eg Polaris) before you start observing - and leave the scope to cool for an hour too beforehand.

finally check out collimation - it's easy to do but sounds fiddly at first. it really affects the performance - like tuning a guitar.

any probs just shout.

you've certainly gone a long way to making it easier from day one with the additional bits you've bought.

don't forget to align your finders (on eg Polaris) before you start observing - and leave the scope to cool for an hour too beforehand.

finally check out collimation - it's easy to do but sounds fiddly at first. it really affects the performance - like tuning a guitar.

any probs just shout.

will do thanks:icon_salut:

Hi there. For me, half the fun, is the hunting so I have a well aligned RDF, a nice wide angle EP and a good field atlas. It helps to have dark skies because most DSO's have guide stars next to them that are not so bright.

The only other ingredient I suggest is patience and if winter, plenty of warm clothing !

Good luck hunting !

ok this is it item no 1 now sorted,new telrad on the way:p but also that tubular looking object that these items help you to use is also winging its way to sutton in ashfield:D:D

courtesy of FLO 1 x skywatcher 200p skyliner dob:headbang::):headbang:

will wait and see for item no 3 as i,m not sure yet what to get

thanks all:hello2:

Congrats! :hello2:

We both now face the 'joy' of learning collimation, hehe.:blob10:

I ordered one of these from FLO (I'm wary about lasers having had a laser eye operation go badly wrong) Collimation - Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece .

Next up for me is a nice EP that will give close to 30 x magnification (that's the magnification I use most with my ST120 on DSO's), and at last I have the excuse to get this one (which would have given far too low a magnification in my ST120 - the contrast would have been bad news if a 32mm plossl is anything to go by) Skywatcher - Skywatcher PanaView 2" eyepieces . The 38mm will give 31.5 x mag in a 1200mm fl 'scope. Puuuuurrrrrfick! :p

eta: though I am also tempted by the 40mm Aero for bang on 30 x mag. Martin at FLO was a great help in reassuring me if the PanaView doesn't meet my expectations (and it should), then a return for the Aero would be ok.

looks a perfect ep for our scopes ogri:pjust had an e-mail form martin at FLO scope should be here tomorrow:Dnot ordered a collimator yet not sure whether laser or the one you have ogri will be best for me

looks a perfect ep for our scopes ogri:pjust had an e-mail form martin at FLO scope should be here tomorrow:Dnot ordered a collimator yet not sure whether laser or the one you have ogri will be best for me

The laser is only useful if you need to transport your scope to a dark location. It's easier and faster. However a bad laser will need collimation itself and a good one is over 100£. A cheshire is very effective and costs much less. In other words I think you can enhance your experience putting the money elsewhere (2/3 nice EPs, a nebula filter...).

Archived