Narrowband

Hello Everybody! This is Shiplu

shiplu

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellas,

My scope has arrived in Wednesday. I was really surprised seeing its size. To me it was huge. When I saw it in photograph in Skywathcers website, It didn't seem to be this big. But after unpacking I was really surprised. It took me about 1 hour to assemble it. I was excited. I wanted to take it in open air to see some nebula, planets. But sky condition was not good. It was a day before full moon. So merely I could see any stars. Later at late night when moon was at far west, I start observing.

At the first look it was really cool to look at some star cluster like Pleiades, Orions knife.

I couldn't see Jupiter that big.

I think there could be two reasons for this. 1) Its not collimated, 2) The default eyepieces are not so good.

I have 2 eyepieces 10mm and 25mm. And F=1200mm. So I think 120x magnification is not enough to see Jupiter.

The scope is 25Kgs in total. Tube is 14KG and base is 11KG. I am thinking to attach wheel at the base so that I can move it easily. Also thinking to attache some kind of mechanism so that I can raise the platform.

Thanks yeti monster ezza123 Rui Paxo richbyers Brendan of Borg just looking mark7331 brantuk glowjet Deneb Coco IvanT johnh Talitha Rusty Strings Bizibilder Si W bunnygod1 Pauly Martyn_Bannister For the warm welcome.

@Moon Lander

Hope I'll build one giant scope someday!

@BAZ Senior

I have already said WOW a lot. :) Its big, bright and colorful.

But still worried about observing planets. Cause my friends wants to see planets as they have no idea about other things.

@JBM1165

This is not the right season in Bangladesh to observe sky. Cause there will be light rain. But not heavy rain like monsoon. But when there is no rain its the most clear sky with lest dust. I still didn't get time to collimate it. Just aligned the finder scope and used it for 1-2 hours.

I am looking for a first-thing-to-do-after-buying-8-inch-dobsonian type article. Could anyone suggest. I think there are already in this forum. ;)

Welcome to SGL, Shiplu!

What part of Bangladesh are you from? My father served in the US Army Air Corps in WW2. He was stationed at Shamshernagar Air Base in Moulvibazar district.

Dana

I am from Dhaka. Moulovibazar is in Sylhet division. My university Shah Jalal University of Science & Technology was in Sylhet which is near Moulovibazar. I visited Moulovibazar 2-3 times when I was in University. Never been to Shamshernagar. But I remember I always used cross the Shamshernagar Rail Station when I used to travel from Sylhet to Dhaka.

Do you have any picture of that place from your father during WW2. It'll be an exclusive one for me. :)

Archived