Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What? No Clangers?

yeti monster

The sky cleared this evening, giving me a chance to try my lunar filter at last.

I spend the best part of an hour watching that episode of the Clangers where nothing happens, not even the soup dragon showed her face!

However, concentrating on the darkening limb (western?) I was looking across a large crater, full of shadow with only the lip in sunlight, stunning. Adjacent to this crater I could see peaks protruding from the shadow and the shadow increasing as it crept along the surface.

I stayed watching until one of the peaks totally disappeared, I'd describe it as like watching Bailys beads in reverse (sort of), truely fascinating to be able to see the moon changing phase.

Had the rig not been moving around so much, I'd have taked a much closer look (8mm + 2x Barlow), as it was, I settled on the 17mm and just watched and watched.

A few looks at Jupiter too, but as I say, the rig was moving around too much to try to grab any close ups.

Archived