Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

23rd August Moon through 200PDS

adamh

Hi,

Finally after months of owning my 200PDS the ecliptic lifted the moon high enough to get over the trees to my south. Thus this is my first lunar image. I took 20 or so images with my DSLR, which on their own were quite good, although focusing is tough.

This has been processed through avistack, and some (possibly too much) deconvolution applied from pixinsight. Avistack is not fast with large images!

Adam

4925318364_f531eff96e_z.jpg

Moon by adamh, on Flickr

Hi,

Finally after months of owning my 200PDS the ecliptic lifted the moon high enough to get over the trees to my south. Thus this is my first lunar image. I took 20 or so images with my DSLR, which on their own were quite good, although focusing is tough.

This has been processed through avistack, and some (possibly too much) deconvolution applied from pixinsight. Avistack is not fast with large images!

Excellent image! Couple of questions if I may...

What body and lens?

Did you stack all 20 images to get this one?

I agree about focusing. THIS thread has a simple Y mask focus aid. I've made one and am waiting for the cloud to clear......

Look forward to more of your shots :D

PS: WHY isn't there a standard emoticon for "frustrated" ???? Would seem quite suitable for an astronomy forum :)

Hi Martyn,

It's with my Canon 50D on my Skywatcher 200P-DS. This is the best 14 of those 20 images stacked in avistack.

I have also tried Lunar photos with my Sigma 70-300 lens, but it's difficult to mount and even harder to focus accurately. I had printed out a Bahtinov mask for the 70-300 but it only has a small aperture, I do want to get one for my telescope though.

Adam

Nice ... I did the exact same thing same last night, this being the first full moon since owning a telescope I couldn't resist, especially as the air was so still :D

... but never having stuck my camera on any kind of telescope before or attempted any kind of astrophotography, I think I have a lot of reading to do and a lot to learn, although the initial results seemed quite promising, and maybe with a bit of image stacking I can get something resembling what you have here.

Nadeem,

I am enjoying the 200PDS, although I have little basis for comparison as it's the first scope I've owned or used extensively. My main issues currently are not scope related: levelling and aligning quickly and correctly, working from a deck, London light pollution, and remembering to actually LOOK though the telescope before sticking a camera on it...

Steve,

Yours is a great image, and you seem to have got plenty of detail without perhaps doing all the manipulation I had to.

Adam

Archived