Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

really need some advice on selection pls

I am after a pretty serious pair of bins,now what would you choose in the 80mm to 100mm range,which are the best ones for performance.

Ie quantum 3/4 's. celestrons or opticrons.

please give me some advice on which to get.

Like to have good light grasp but maybe something not too big,well not massive.

Was looking at quantum 20x80's or also what are strathspey bins like?

Thanks Gary

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary I`ve had a pair of Opticrons 16x80 for about 5 month`s, very classy performers, great finish and centre focus,hand holdable for short period`s love em,also got Quantum 20x90 very big! superb views good finish not as crisp a view as the Opti`s and i cannot get away with the individual focussing, that said a spacewalk on the cheap,you will need a substantial mount for these bin`s,i will not be parting with either pair anytime soon :D

p.s recommend putting a red dot finder on these bin`s it just make`s locating an area so much quicker

Regards

Mike

Check out the exit pupil. (Divide the aperture by the magnification.) It should not exceed about 6mm and certainly not 7mm since this is the aperture of the adapted eye of a fairly young person. So 11x80, which I once had, is a poor idea because the exit pupil was never going to get into my eye.

I don't think you mention budget, but Fujinon make large premium bins of high reputation.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/fujinon/fujinon-polaris-16x70-fmt-sx-binocular

Olly

The Helios Apollo High Resolution 22x85 Observation Binoculars are really superb. They're the best you're going to get at a reasonable price (£379.00). The Fujinons are a bit better but cost a LOT more.

I bought a pair of the Helios Apollo HD 15x70s and I've been so impressed with them that I'm selling them and getting the 22x85s.

John

thanks all.

after a chat with steve at flo,i decided to get the helios quantum 4 15x70's.

I decided on these as i wanted to hand hold to and i dont reckon the 80mm will be too good for that.

Has anyone used these.

Thanks Gary

Gaz,

Just in the thread below this one http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/106243-very-brief-first-light-quantum-15x70.html

thanks for the pointer mark :D

John

Do you reckon the 85mm will see alot more than the 70mm's?

Gaz:D

They should gather a fair bit more light and the higher mag will help as well. One thing I like about the Apollo series is that they are actually very close to the stated aperture (unlike a lot of other bins) and the 22x85 are only slightly smaller in true aperture than the common 20x100s.

However they are a lot heavier than the 15x70s though, so mounting is a consideration. The monopod setup I had for the 15x70s will easily handle the 22x85s though.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/110130-manfrotto-682b-monopod-triton-ballhead-action-grip.html

John

Well my q4 15x70 are not coming,steve at flo kindly checked them out before sending and found a problem so he didnt want to send them to me.

Refund on the way back.

Great news on steves side for being honest and straight,on the other hand im still looking for my bins.

Think i may use this opportunity to decide wether i go for bigger 80mm's instead.

On noooo brain overload again trying to decide.

Help ;)

I must agree with John 100% the BA8 Series of binoculars are just about the best money can buy at their reasonable cost. To go better,you may have to spend three times the price.

The BA8 Series include Helios Apollo,Garrett Signature and Oberwerk Ultra. I have never seen a bad review of one of this series of binoculars.

Glen.

Having sold my Helios Apollo 15x70s to get the 22x85s I find myself spending far too much time looking at the 28x110s and thinking "It's only £100.00 more and the monpod setup would handle it" ;)

Anyway now that the Ethos 3.7 SX will be coming shortly I'm putting off the new bins purchase for a while so I've got plenty of time to think abut it.

John

China!!! is that the only place you can buy them from?

They look nice though. ;)

I think that quality control of Chinese made equipment is progressing very nicely.

What we have to remember is that the dealers who buy their manufactured equipment give them the specs and the price. They don't make **** unless it's asked for.

At these sizes, some support improves their usefulness immensly. If you don't want to lay out another £50 for a lovely mount like the one John linked to above, just splash out a pound on an extendable metal clothes prop which won't be quite as good but massively better than nothing. Tell everyone its an economy mount for only £19.95 then you won't feel so cheap. :-)

Steve

I seem to recall from one of your previous posts Gaz that you work in Wilmslow (Wildings I assume).

I live in Wilmslow and have a pair of Apollo 15x85s. You're welcome to borrow them for a bit. It'll give you a feel for quality/size/weight. The 22x85s are the same size/weight, just a bit more mag.

Archived