Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to buy plastic tipped bolts?

I'm after some plastic-tipped bolts for use in some guide scope rings. Does anyone know where I can buy some. For reasons too complicated to go into here, these have to be bolts with a built-in plastic tip, not a normal bolt with a plastic guard over the end. I think I'll need these as M6 bolts.

Any help gratefully received.

back in January, I found some suitable "nylon inserts" in my local B&Q. Outside diameter is 12mm, I think, and they are already threaded (hollowed out) for M6 bolts. The barcode on a pack of 10 is 3 232637 724807.

I'm intruiged as to why they can't have the plastic tips on them (only from a purely nosey perspective I'm afraid!)?

They are for the 5" rings that is used to mount my Orion 80ED on to the back of my LX200. If the rings are much larger, the observatory roof won't close. The Orion 80ED is actually in a 102mm diameter tube so this is pretty tight in the 5" rings. The problem has come because I now want to use the 80ED as a portable scope as well as piggy-backed on the LX200. To get the 80ED out of the rings I have to either unscrew the lens cell or take off all 6 guidescope mounting screws. At present I'm unscrewing the lens cell, but I don't want to keep doing this - it's a pain and I'm worried about dropping something. Unscrewing all six screws is a pain because each one is tipped with a small plastic cup which keep getting lost and are a right PITA to put on. That is why I want plastic tipped screws - they should be easy to take in and out and no fiddly plastic caps on the ends.

The alternatives are an ultra low profile set of easily demountable and adjustable mounting rings for a 102mm tube or buy a new 80mm apochromatic scope with a narrower OTA. Plastic tipped screws struck me as the simplest and cheapest way forward.

Also, are actual nylon bolts an option?

I have considered nylon bolts. However, the 80ED is sometimes used with the LX200 acting as a guidescope, I'm worried about flexure issues and I thought that nylon bolts might introduce an avoidable source of flexure.

Do you know anyone with a lathe Mike?

Peter...

Thanks for the link Peter. I do know someone with a lathe. However, he's just done me a couple of seriously big favours and it would not be fair to ask again.

I'll keep looking.

By the way, does anyone have any experience as to whether plastic screws in guidescope rings are likely to contribute to flexure?

Sounds as though you need the screws I used to make for my rings. M6 in brass with screw in nylon inserts. Only stick out 1mm and can be replaced if neccessary. P.M me if you want further details.

cheers

Ray

M6%20Nylon%20Tipped.jpg

Knocked these up for Mike.. tips just need dressing a bit...

The M6x30 ZP bolts are £3.05 delivered for 10 off ebay... made a little mandrel to hold them in the lathe chuck whilst protecting the plastic piece and support the M6 thread, at the same time allowing it to be locked off with an M6 nut to stop it creeping back as its drilled.. drilused a center drill (3.5mm diameter by 3.5mm deep) before M4 nylon studding was friction fitted using a cordless drill and roughtly knifed off to "length"...

Peter..

Archived