Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacement body for MS Lifecam HD

Cornelius Varley

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing I'd add, is it's useful to make a mark on the original MS Endcap to suggest which way is up. I used a permanment marker and have an arrow drawn on it.

Wayne....

Good idea. I've got some small red reflective dots and one of them would do perfectly.

John

So I want to remove the lens from the front of the chip.... ok... I hope this will work. The view from the camera looking into the diagonal mirror only shows a spit of light, not a useful image. I'm not sure how this would work w/o a lens at all but I'm going to try it now...

post-18683-133877478921_thumb.jpg

Mike

Yes you need to remove the lens.

Remove the two screws fastening the lens assembly to the pcb.

De-solder the autofocus connections. Or as some have done fracture the joints by teasing the assembly back n forth. I prefer desoldering!

Finally, you MUST either remove the led or blank it with black paint.

I think maybe I ought to prepare some instructions. but the ones at Instructions for Converting Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD Webcam for Telescope Use -by Gary Honis

Are OK except with my adapter you do not remove the cable and the original metal outer case and rear cover is retained.

Wayne....

Mike

De-solder the autofocus connections. Or as some have done fracture the joints by teasing the assembly back n forth. I prefer desoldering!

Wayne....

:o

UGH !! Bend Snap Done UGH !!

are you refering to my delicate operation of .. snap that'll do it LOL

I covered the led with sone black acrylic paint, applied with a toothpick. It works perfectly to stop the blue light.

However, I can't get anything to resolve on my lens-less camera. If I wave it around, the lifecam software shows the various light levels from totally dark to totally white. All this is expected, however I cannot bring any image into focus using the nodded camera with my scope.

If I focus on Jupiter (or even a distant streetlamp), I can see it perfectly through the eyepiece and yet when the camera is in the diagonal - nothing :blob10:

Any ideas?

try without the diagonal?

I've just been out with my lifecam trying Jupiter but keep losing it behind cloud, so I've given up for the night.

You should be able to see a distant streetlamp easily. I've even picked out the pointing on a nearby factory chimney with mine when testing it.

Wayne....

Make sure Jupiter is PERFECTLY centred Mike. You will likely need to play around with the settings for the camera too, I dont know what you get to play with with the lifecam, exposure, gain, brightness, gamma etc???

Thanks Wayne and TJ,

I didn't have Jupiter perfectly centred but on my terrestrial tests (Jupiter vanished behind cloud for me too) I tried focussing from extreme to extreme and playing with all the settings and didn't register anything :blob10:

I think more trial & error experimentation is needed. I might even try my other scope...

Archived