Narrowband

Viewing planets

I'm really baffled by this John :D

I viewed Juipiter a couple of nights ago with my 4" and 6" refractors and saw lots of details on the planet - I don't use any filters on the planet even with my 10" scope. I was using magnifications of 130x - 240x (the latter with the 6" scope).

I would have thought you would get some really nice views with your 5" scope :)

Yeh normally I do see detail mate, it was just last night everything was so much brighter than the norm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You wont have seen a ring on jupiter, it's too faint! You might need to try an eyepiece with higher magnification (I'm guessing you were given a 10mm - bang the barlow on it to get effectively a 5mm), but in my experience the skywatcher eyepieces were pretty bad at high mag. I now have a TMB 6mm which gives gorgeous view of jupiter with plenty of colour and detail. Do you have stellarium? It's free if not, and it's perfect for checking what you're looking at!

I was just about to order a couple of TMB's including a 6mm so this is great to hear :D... with my Skywatcher Explorer 150/750P on the standard SW 10mm EP and Barlow, I can make out some banding, but it depends on the night as to how clear it is.

Dropping to the SW 25mm + 2x Barlow often produces much clearer results than the 10mm, so it would seem that the reputedly bad 10mm lives up to expectations here :)

I hate my 10mm cant wait to replace them all with better ones, the 20mm erect ep aslo supplied is ok though but only in the centre of view

I had no idea there is such a thing as an erect EP. I thought it was the job of the erect prism thingie to do that job.

Interesting. I got a 45 degree erect prism with my travelscope and i have to say I LOVE IT. I dont know why because most celestial objects dont really have a "right way up". I do love it for observing the moon because i spent so many years observing the moon with bins that my brain finds it extremely difficult to process the image of it through my DOB. Its also great for terrestrial observing (i love watching the birdies in the garden).

Shame i cant attach it to my DOB. I tried it and i have to contort myself into some very strange positions to observe through it with the DOB.

Would it be worth investing in one purely for Lunar observing with the DOB?

P.S.~~~to stay on topic. The erect prism i have with the travelscope is great for observing planets. Everything is where it should be with regards to "surface" detail...............small as it may be with 70mm apeture.

I don't think there's much difference between them ( someone please correct me if wrong) but they say that x220 is the "Sweet spot" when viewing Jupiter. I would defo get both at some point though as the 6mm will be great when seeing not that great and the 5mm for clear stable nights..

The 5mm will push out that wee bit more detail than the 6mm, but think about a filter too as this will greatly help with detail..

Apologies - John is right - I forgot that the 200p is F6 not F5 - either way, my intent (as you could probably tell) was to recommend 200x as your regular daily-use mag level - but as John says, it's the 6mm that gives you that - not the 5mm

Archived