1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Viewing planets

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant see the colour of jupiter i wish i could, my telescope wasnt that expensice so maybe thats why, its a Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

thats a surprise, no disrespect are u sure u a looking at jupiter,even with binocs u should see some colour and the 150p is more than enough to see banding and colour??

yeh i think its jupiter, it is very bright with the naked eye, then though the telescope i see 4 moons (one time only 3) and what i think was a ring, i am almost certain it is jupiter. :):confused::):confused::):confused::eek::D

You wont have seen a ring on jupiter, it's too faint! You might need to try an eyepiece with higher magnification (I'm guessing you were given a 10mm - bang the barlow on it to get effectively a 5mm), but in my experience the skywatcher eyepieces were pretty bad at high mag. I now have a TMB 6mm which gives gorgeous view of jupiter with plenty of colour and detail. Do you have stellarium? It's free if not, and it's perfect for checking what you're looking at!

i normallly used sky walk and another few apps i have on my iphone and once i met a guy that was out with his telescope and he said it was juipter. i just use the lenses that come wit the telescope they are ( from page) Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

You wont have seen a ring on jupiter, it's too faint! You might need to try an eyepiece with higher magnification (I'm guessing you were given a 10mm - bang the barlow on it to get effectively a 5mm), but in my experience the skywatcher eyepieces were pretty bad at high mag. I now have a TMB 6mm which gives gorgeous view of jupiter with plenty of colour and detail. Do you have stellarium? It's free if not, and it's perfect for checking what you're looking at!

there would be a good chance that it wasnt i ring i seen lol it just seem like a faint line through the centre,maybe was grasping at straws lol, wanted to see something exciting lol

If you mean ring as in band, then you probably did see it. If you mean ring like Saturn's, then you didn't. I have the same scope as you and you can definitely see colour. Nothing like you will find in the pages of a magazine, but oranges and yellows. Some nights better than others of course. You will find the planets can look very different one night to the previous night.

i normallly used sky walk and another few apps i have on my iphone and once i met a guy that was out with his telescope and he said it was juipter. i just use the lenses that come wit the telescope they are ( from page) Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

If you have an iPhone, I can highly recommend Carina Software's "Sky Voyager". Costs a few quid but is really excellent, much better than any of the other planetarium apps I have tried, and much MUCH easier to use. Has lots of great features and if you have the 3G S then it uses the compass and accelerometer to match up to whichever part of the sky you are looking at, so if you are unsure, point it at the object and it will show you what you are looking at! Really useful tool.

If you mean ring as in band, then you probably did see it. If you mean ring like Saturn's, then you didn't. I have the same scope as you and you can definitely see colour. Nothing like you will find in the pages of a magazine, but oranges and yellows. Some nights better than others of course. You will find the planets can look very different one night to the previous night.

yeah it was a kinda band, i wonder how you can see colour and i cant if we have the same scopes , i must bee doing something wrong lol, but what i dont know

On Jupiter and Saturn i mainly see yellow/brown/beige. Dark bands around Jupiter compared to the lighter "surface" of the planet and the same for Saturn and its ring system. I can see all this with my 70mm,90mm,130mm scope(s)...........so a 150mm scope should be even better.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

A 150P has I believe a focal length of 750mm.

With that aperure and a 10mm EP giving 75x magnification you should see some colour and some small detail.

May seem strange but I wonder if the image is sufficently bright but small and so the detail is overpowered by the amount of light. If you fancy spending some money :D then consider a smaller eyepiece. Say a 7.5mm option to give 100x.

The 10mm that came with the scope tends to be considered poor, and if there was a barlow then from reading posts it is not good and combining it with the 10mm simply gives something unusable.

Sorry, is the scope collimated. That affects the image quality.

Edited by ronin

i can only see just one band (the remaining of the two big bands) on Jupiter with my small 60mm refractor. but that too in brownish color. even at 70x magnification. but the band is faint and whole disk is white other than the band.

not to offend you, but are you sure you are not color blind to brown?

You should be able to see colour and definision on jupiter, my brother has a 130pm and i can see it through is and my 200p just brings every thing out, we even saw the grs, is you scope collimated?

Where in the country are you? The 150 is a big scope and you should be gettin good veiws with it by now :D

i can only see just one band (the remaining of the two big bands) on Jupiter with my small 60mm refractor. but that too in brownish color. even at 70x magnification. but the band is faint and whole disk is white other than the band.

not to offend you, but are you sure you are not color blind to brown?

Ive just texted my friend who normally comes out with me and he says he only see's it in a "star colour, so it shouldnt be my eyes causing the problems lol

You should be able to see colour and definision on jupiter, my brother has a 130pm and i can see it through is and my 200p just brings every thing out, we even saw the grs, is you scope collimated?

Where in the country are you? The 150 is a big scope and you should be gettin good veiws with it by now :D

i am in scotland and i think it is collimated lol am a newbie lol

I have a 5" reflector and can make out bands and see 4 moons sometimes only 3, I dont see colour but defo small amounts of

detail and thats only at x130 (my 10mm & Barlow) both supplied with scope so not very good.. I also managed to see very very slight banding at x65(10mm)

ok i seen absoluty nothing like that

Don't worry you won't see that sort of detail with the eye in that photo there are 2500 stacked images, it's not a true comparison.

I use a 10" dobsonian telescope and with it well collimated and using an eyepiece giving x100mag Jupiter is a fine sight, the equatorial belt is very obvious and there are hints of shading on the rest of the planet, but no other clear detail, the overall image is quite bright. To get more from Jupiter I have to increase the magnification to x150, x200 or if I'm really lucky x240 (doesn't happen often) at these levels the Great Red Spot is visible and so are fainter bands in the planets atmosphere. Your scope should produce good planetary views but to do this it must be well collimated and properly cooled (atleast an hour outside if not more) and to get the best view wait until Jupiter is well clear of the horizon.

Edited by Chris H

you should be able to see some thing, I think your scope is out of collimation, because even with the cheapo EP's you can see something...

It wont be as big as that, or as detailed as the images have been stacked, but i should think you would be able to see NEB

Edited by Keiran