Beer and stargazing

badgerchap

I've heard some people say that you shouldn't drink before stargazing. Apparently, the alcohol causes the blood vessels in your eye to expand and this reduces your ability to detect faint objects? Is this true? I hope so, because otherwise I've been denying myself a nice, warming beer whilst stargazing for the last two years!

I think I've heard what you've mentioned, before, somewhere.

Well one night in Kielder, I missed a night of observing due to far too many ales. Could hardly focus on the way back to the tent, never mind the stars!

But seriously, I'm sure a lovely bottle of ale shouldn't hurt too much.

Andy.

...However, I bet there is a whole universe of weird and wonderful objects to be seen by the heavily intoxicated stargazer. They are probably hard to image though.

I've tried observing when getting back from the pub - it's rubbish and scary (drops etc are much more likely). but I do like the odd can (only one or two) while observing in the garden - very chilled and good to celebrate a new Messier with as well :D

I would think that alcohol when in excess can provide new undiscovered fuzzy nebulae and double stars to be seen. Even without optical aid.

What, you guys use telescopes??! But I've been seeing faint fuzzies for years, after a few beers, even in broad daylight! Haha

I don't think it makes any noticeable difference if you have a couple of bevvies.

My back shed has turned into something like the fridge in this advert we have here in NL ( YouTube - Heineken - Girls, Eat Your Heart Out! (Walk in Fridge)(w/ English Sub) ); mind you with our very bright orange skies there is no dark-adaptation to be done. It does make me a bit wobbly on my laptop keyboard in the dark though.

Regards, Chris

Well........

one or two beers is unlikely to affect your eyeballs that much

BUT

you may fall over the tripod in the dark.

Or drop that Nagler on the patio

Or fall over the dog on the wsy back in

Or all of the above

Oh and in Cornwall we drink Cyder, but only if its cloudy (?)

Clear skies

psoriasis of the liver

Now that would be nasty, and something altogether new to medical science. (ITYM "cirrhosis" :D.)

Back to the OP's question: The main effects of alcohol (in moderate doses, i.e. before you get ratted) on vision are decreased response of the pupil to light/dark changes and a reduction in sensitivity to contrast. The former is not normally a problem, but the latter can be if you are trying to detect stuff at the limit of your vision.

I've read that alcohol dehydrates your body, and caffeine is a diuretic (which is basically the same thing, i suppose). Since your eye is fluid-filled, it makes sense that it would lose some content, but i've never read data on exactly how much eye fluid is lost or if it actually affects our vision. It'd be interesting to read some facts on the issue. :D

I've read that alcohol dehydrates your body, and caffeine is a diuretic (which is basically the same thing, i suppose). Since your eye is fluid-filled, it makes sense that it would lose some content, but i've never read data on exactly how much eye fluid is lost or if it actually affects our vision. It'd be interesting to read some facts on the issue. :D

I'll do it. I'll go get absolutely hammered and then do an observing report.

No need to thank me.

Archived