Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Being teased...

badgerchap

OK, this is getting unfair. Three nights in a row now, I've gone out to check the cloud situation and, low and behold! The sky is clear, with the first btight stars just beginning to poke their way out of the deepening blu. Full of anticipation, I run back into the house, take out the dob, and wait for it to cool. Each time I've wolfed down my dinner, suited up, stepped outside and.....[removed word]. More clouds than one can shake the proverbial stick out.

C'mon clouds, just not FAIR!

Yup - thats one of the reasons I have GoTo.

At least you have a Dob in a back graden - imagine just how annoying it for me to have to pass on dinner and have to drive for 90 minutes only to find its cloudy on arrival leaving me with a 90 minutes drive back - so a whole evening blown out for nothing much except the pleasure of lugging a scope down 8 flights of stairs and back up again 3 hours later.

You'll learn to avoid sucker holes* soon enough...

* dictionary definition: Sucker Hole (n): a fortuitously time clearing in the cloud layer allowing an astronomer to view several bright stars on a seemingly cloudy night. The hole is usually sized just large enough that the astronomer believes the cloud has cleared, and that he/she will be able to conduct his/her observations. The hole is also usually sized such that when the astronomer has finished his/her preparations for observations; it has closed, leaving a dense cloud layer laughing at the astronomer and spelling out the words "sucker".

I believe the cloud is partly my fault, see, I got a load of new kit for my birthday back on the 12th and I've been itching to get out and use it.... been cloudy ever since - its like the clouds know.

According to the weather there should be some clear nights in the south this week though :D

I recently wrote an angry email to the Met Office about their very poor forecasts accuracy, especially the local ones, and after three weeks they replied and excused themselves because "It's very difficult to forecast the weather".

Oh well, that's all right then! :)

Still clear skies tonight!!! Maybe!!:D

I think I will have a little rest now. :)

Ok, so the teasing has, of course, reached a new level. Last night there were beautifully clear skies, excellent seeing.....and a full blumming moon! OK I should have known it was going to be full but it's been cloudy for so long I never thought to check the phase. Grrrr!

Archived