SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Old newbie

black5f

Hi. Basically been randomly looking up at the sky for 47 years and now fancy doing a little more! So joined for some advice. Did have a very poor sperical and frustrating reflector (now gone) and the only scope I have remaining is a very old 60mm tasco and lots of binos, but, it gives a remarkably good view! Taken some photos now and then with canon 100D (v light!, mirror lock up, remote wired release (not sily IR remote fro the front) and all colour response adjustable). Make my own attachments (got lathes etc). Took this pic recently, I know it's awful, but it was an awful night, cloudy, glow from the local town and on a plastic cheap as they get scope! Just in it for fun.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the hearty welcome and thanks for the compliment. The wide angle view of the garden was moments later so you can see the conditions.

And yes, I have to admit, my name is refering to Staniers finest... (One of) my other vices ;-)

Tom

Hi black5f

Juipite's photos are not so bad, considering they're caught with a 60mm tasco.

Keep trying. When you think about a bigger/better scope, you'll have all the prectice.

Welcome.

Hi Tom and welcome, its impressive that you can make your own attachments :D

Hi. It's quite easy if you have access to a lathe. Eg, get hold of an old M42 teleconverter, I bought 3 for a fiver. Take out the elements and throw them away :) Stick it in a lathe and bore out the female end to fit over the eyepiece or better, its holder, drill and thread for a retaining screw. Then go and buy some of those bayonet extension tubes from amazon, the ones that have no AF coupling (but a big hole up the middle), are usless for macro stuff but only cost £5. Get a M42 adapter for you prefered camera mount and use the tubes for relief over the eyepiece = eyepiece projection kit, bayonet mount for about £15! The hole through the cheap tubes is sometimes just big enough for 2" eyepieces if you make an end bush instead of the old teleconverter. :) Also cheap tele converters seem to make good barlows (for me), use them to magnify x2 for prime focus. I have a teleconverter (with out elements) bored to take a 1.25 eye piece. Very quick then to attach a camera. Tom

I'm planning a new scope, one of the projects on the list is to use the spare x2 and x3 element clusters I have and mount them as barlows to see how they perform. They are usually 4 or 5 m/c elements about 3/4 inch diameter and I can't see why they shouldn't be quite good (for free that is!). Tom

Archived