SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Reaching for the stars

modelman1968

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all the new welcomes! I'm still ewaiting on my scope, but UPS tracking has it in Germany at the moment, probably be here tomorrow - soooo exciting.

Unfortunately we have the gales sent over from the UK today, so I'm hoping they won't last long.

Hello Modelman

Welcome from another new member!

I just wanted to drop you a line regarding Norway! 15 to 20 years ago I worked for Norsk Hydro (Agrochemicals and Fertilizers) and used to come to Norway on an irregular basis and what a stunningly wonderful country!

We stayed in a company property in Porsgren (spelling?) mostly but went up to another company property at Tromso and got a good viewing of the Northern Lights. What a spectacular sight!

There is a thread going on the lights elsewhere on the forum and some great pictures from Talitha to gather motivation to journey north!

Regards

Thanks Buzz, I'm planning on going North later in the year, but my instinct tells me (rather than any technical knowledge) that trying to use a scope may be a problem, so here's a question or two - firstly, will snow on the ground create light pollution, and secondly, do the aurori add or detract to the viewing pleasure through a scope?

Probably silly questions to the initiated!

Hello Modelman

My only viewing of the aurora was with the naked eye but it filled the night sky and I cannot believe that a telescope would have added to the sight, I may be wrong as I have never seen them through a scope.

There are other more knowledgeable than me who may answer your question regarding snow and light pollution.

Regards

Archived