Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy: Cost per hour?

great_bear

A more interesting question for imagers - how much does each image you produce cost? Obviously over time the price goes down but I reckon with my 20 or so good images over the last couple of years I'm looking at around £300 a piece? Of course the enjoyment of using the equipment and being out there 'doing' astronomy should be factored in somehow but it's still a frightening statistic!

as an ex **** fisherman, i can say that price per hour in astronomy is a lot more economic than price per fish /fishing tackle!!!

thats to say i get more ours of observing than i ever did catch fish!! lol

What were you fishing? It's too rude for this place :D

I use the same cost v's benefit analysis method that the government use for their IT investments - therefore, despite a substantial outlay, way in excess of my original plans, over a much longer timescale and meeting an entirely different set of needs than originally specified, my investment is delivering huge benefits, albeit entirely unquantifiable, every minute of every day :D

About £8.50 per hour for observing this year so far. This is scope, eyepieces and cases vs. my logged hours in my observing note book. Not going to tell the wife about this....

Rik

Since i only got back into astronomy just under 2 years ago, and had to buy everything again from scratch, i'm looking at about, £15 an hour, i suspect that price would be a lot lower if it was'nt for the bad weather we've had, certainly the last two summers.

I suspect there are a lot of people on here in the same boat who have just got into astronomy.

If I added up the hours worth of imaging I have done, I have no doubt it would come to some silly number

The most important thing is the amount of time I have spent browsing forums, learning various things, experimenting with kit, building my own kit, admiring other peoples work, meeting new people and spent time having a fascinating hobby more than makes up for it :D

At a really rough guess I have about £5k of gear. Total obs time is probably on the order of 4 hours a quarter for 3 years plus 5 full nights at SSP (thats for all SSPs I have been at) at 5 hours per night.

That runs at £68 an hour but I would add in the fun writing guides, taking stuff to bits, the room decor aspects of some of the kit. The friends I have made and all of that is priceless really.

Archived