Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

mark7331

Cloud Appreciation Society

I know that I'm going to have to sit on the naughty step for this but I happened upon this today and I'm not sure if they are for real. They have a calendar and you get a badge for joining (after paying £4.52).

The Cloud Appreciation Society

If I buy a Stargazers Lounge mug will I be let off detention? :)

The Field Studies Council do a good guide to the clouds. It is laminated so you can use it when the clouds rain as well.:):D:D:D:D:D:D

Cost about £3 if I recall.:D:icon_scratch:

Ah, a fellow convert. Greetings from member number 13406 :D "The Cloudspotters Guide" by Gavin Pretor-Pinney (our esteemed founder) is worth a read. At least there's something to look at while waiting for clear skies

I gave a lecture on 'The Beauty of Clouds' to the Adur AS a couple of weeks ago. I have been imaging them as a therapy to fight against the fact that they have rather decimated my hobby this year - know thine enemy! After starting to image them, I really did find that they are beautiful and now have quite a collection. I have also just bought a new anorak .......

This is one of my favourites:-

post-13675-133877472722_thumb.jpg

Please tell me the Cloud Appreciation Society sit around complaining "just got a new DSLR, and it's been clear skies for three straight days now"... :D

That's right, clouds are sometimes extremely beautiful and nice to look at by day, but at night when there's nothing to see but grey/black murk they're nothing but a nuisance.

I still appreciate their beauty in the day though.

Please tell me the Cloud Appreciation Society sit around complaining "just got a new DSLR, and it's been clear skies for three straight days now"... :D

Hahaha - that put an instant smile on my face :)

As for clouds themselves, I sometimes like watching them, and they can even make the night sky look nice sometimes; especially the noctilucent variety. Here are my cloud images:

Cloudglow.png

Moonclouds.png

P1000437.png

Satelliteflare2.png

NLC1.png

I have a book on clouds someone bought me for xmas as a comical present, and I have to admit it's fascinating

Although I would much rather be looking at them from above!!

Roque-de-los-Muchachos-Observatory-Above-the-Clouds-WHT.jpg

I'm not in to clouds personally but certainly not in the night, too much of a nuisance. yet not as bad as bad as light pollution, at least clouds drift :D

sort of like SGL's sith to jedi eh?

So we're the jedi right? Seems like some SGLers have been tempted by the dark side!!!

Oh dear, what a nerd I am. :D