Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first telescope was a:

Earl

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ETX 90RA Mak, purchased in June of 1998 and still in use. :D

When i bought it, i liked the idea that it could do triple-duty. On the fork mount, there's DSO's at night and the Sun during the day. The OTA can be removed from the fork mount and placed on a photo tripod too, so i also use it to check up on the local Eagle, Hawk and Osprey nests. Waterfowl on the rivers and lakes, too.

the TAL 150p in my sig, first one i bought from first light optics and the only one i would not get rid of for love nor money, even if a 250K landed on my doorstep by a mysterious benefactor, i would keep it (along with the 250K :D )

First proper astro scope was a Meade ETX90 in 2000 I think. Great little starter scope, saw loads though it - the epiphany was M57 at a dark location - stunning! First (non-astro) scope was a lovely brass and leather collapsing (sea captain style!) job which my mum got for me when I was about 9 or 10. I think it was an offer from a cereal box and probably cost about 8 or 9 quid. It was a lovely piece of kit though and offered good zoom and a nice image.

Many an afternoon was spent spying from my bedroom window!

Ahoy!

For me, my first scope was a 4 inch reflector diy kit made by Charles Frank, my dad bought the kit for me as a birthday present when i was about 12 or 13 - I remember it had a cardboard round tube which dad painted black and stood on a squarewooden base which i stood on a table. It came with 2 eyepieces 33x and 78x... the flat was an oblong piece of mirror glass stuck on a piee of dowelling which you could rotate from the outside of the tube to align,, all for the cost of £10.6s 9d ! I remember seeing the moon and Jupiter and its 4 moons and Venus.. it really was a great scope and 10 yrs later when i was married I still had the scope and i sent the mirror away to be aluminised ! thus keeping my interest alive ..I cant remember now what happened to that scope!

Mine was a little Greenkat telescope bought for me by my dad when I was about 9 yrs old in 1974 , it had a little tabletop tripod and I used it to look at the moon, and I remember getting excited when I thought I'de found a planet, only to be dissapointed that it was an out of focus star :) Then "upgraded" to a Tasco 50mm thing :D, Then in 1991 bought myself an Orion optics 6" reflector and the collection has grown ever since :)

A little Kowa spotting scope, I was into birding long before Astronomy, so I started with what I had. My first Astro scope was a little Tasco 3" newt, it was a good job I had looked through my uncle's scopes otherwise I would have been put off by that piece of tat.

My first scope was a Tal 120. Not the biggest, but I needed something sturdy that I could take abroad often. It's built like a tank and I've seen loads from our very dark French garden.

I then bought some 15x70 skymasters mounted on an ancient, but very high quality (got from work and restored it myself) high speed video tripod.

I now also have an Orion Optics 12" dob that lives in France, and I shall be using that all next week and can't wait!

Mine was a blue coloured refractor of about 70mm apeture on a lovely sturdy wooden tripod with an Alt az mount.

Funnily enough i dont remember ever looking through it at anything except trees but i remember taking it apart to clean the inside of the lens and never being able to get it to focus ever again.

Apart from a scope I made in 1968 from a 3" objective (which I still have ) some cardboard tube and an eyepiece from some binoclars ( it was a hopeless project really, being hung across the balcony with a broomstick and some string ). The first REAL scope was an ETX90 bought in 1996 ish, a great little scope but sold to fund bigger and better scopes.

Bob

Lukeskywatcher...."Mine was a blue coloured refractor of about 70mm apeture on a lovely sturdy wooden tripod with an Alt az mount"

That was sooooo a prinz astral!!!!!

You could be right. Sure looks similar to what i had. Thankfully not the EQ version. Not even a finderscope on it.

Archived