Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Earl

My first telescope was a:

A white refractor given to me by my uncle, beaten up and second hand, no idea of model but it was very small but i could look at trees at the bottom of the garden if I recall.

An 8" dob scope hated it!!! lost my interest in Astronomy because of the poor quality of the scope. But glad i got back into it.

Prinz 70mm bought from Dixons. Xmas present age 11)

Saw Saturn and Jupiter and have been hooked ever since.

-A 50mm Refractor, lovely white colour on a very shaky mount.

Saw nothing through it. Almost destroyed my budding interest in the stars. A Tasco 60mm followed, which wasn't too bad, but hardly stimulated the thirst for knowledge.

Ron.

Mine was a PZO T50x70 Maksutov Cassegrain.

[PZO = Polskie Zaklady Optyczne(Polish Optical Works), Warsaw]

I'm still in the process of bringing it back to life(Will never get rid of it. Sentimental reasons). Bought by my Dad, 2nd hand from Quiggs in Glasgow for Christmas or my Birthday in the late 70's.

More info here,

Stargazers Lounge - PZO T50x70 Maksutov

Pics,

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/andyh-albums-pzo-mak-pics.html

Cheers,

Andy.

Edited by AndyH

A Prinz refractor I think it was either a 50mm or 60mm.

A 50mm refractor that my mum bought me from her home shopping catalog for my birthday - I was 9 or 10. I kept getting splinters from the cheap wooden mount. Couldn't see a thing through it.

Mine is the Celestron NexStar 127 SLT that I got a few months ago from FLO!

Got a scope for christmas in about 1982. It was a very small refractor probably about 3" maybe less, silver in colour with a sliding front sleeve end, not sure what that did must have been the focuser or zoom I cant remember. It had a small table top tripod aprox 6" high.

Its was pants.:)

Mine was a rubbish vivitar refractor on the wobbliest, weakest mount ever made. I bought it on impulse from eBay for the overpriced sum of £20, these days I wouldn't have one even if someone gave to me free.

The 8" dob from the astro society was a godsend, the views I get through it are infinitely better than the frac and I would advise anyone to steer clear of those ebay/department store scopes. I can't believe that companies still go to the trouble of even manufacturing the damned things, let alone market them as serious astronomical tools.

Vivitar 50x/100x Refractor Telescope with Tripod | Overstock.com

Seben 4.5" reflector from ebay. I saw Saturns rings and the Moon, and took some afocal pics through it. Moving to a Meade 6" LXD-75 mount after that was like HOLY MOLY. Then onto the EQ6-Pro, equally blown away. I think I've reached my ceiling now, but enjoyed learning and progressing and not jumping in with expensive gear at the start!

Edited by tooth_dr

Ugh, I am ashamed to say. It was an *cough* Edu-Science Astrolon telescope-like-object.

A relative got it for me one Christmas, and it sat in the attic as an unwanted gift for two years before I dragged it out, was frankly unimpressed with the lack of quality and bought a better telescope.

Ugh, I am ashamed to say. It was an *cough* Edu-Science Astrolon telescope-like-object.

A relative got it for me one Christmas, and it sat in the attic as an unwanted gift for two years before I dragged it out, was frankly unimpressed with the lack of quality and bought a better telescope.

Good for you, for not giving up on the hobby. I wonder how many folk have been put off, forever, with a very poor scope. Shame.

Andy.

When I was 10 or so, my mother gave me a 50mm refractor for Christmas. It had very poor optics and a tiny mount that broke soon after I got it. When I was 16, I bought myself a pair of 10x50 bins, which I used for many years, until they went missing in a move. Four years ago, I bought my 15x70 bins, and a year ago I bought my 8" Celestron, both of which I love!

Edited by George Jones

I was about 18 when I bought a used Tasco 60mm F/13 refractor on a wobbly alt-az mount. The scope is (I've still got it) a 1960's vintage Japanese one and optically pretty good but the simple eyepieces supplied with it, and the mount, did not do it justice at all. I've since tried it with decent eyepieces on a stable mount and it performs very well for it's limited aperture.

Even with it's limitations it kept my interest alive for years before I could afford a "proper" scope.

A SW 130pm. Fantastic scope. Wish I'd never got rid of it! Got a 200 now, which makes up for it slightly...

A small refractor on an Alt/Az - superb quality I remember but was quite tiny - maybe 60mm. It was the scope that hooked me but I generally think of my no name 4.5 newt on an EQ as my first real scope - even though by todays standards it was feeble.

Firts scope when I restarted was a 130PM and to be honest I dont think anyone could buy a better scope to start with than that. How times have changed.

A Tasco 50mm refractor in 1969, fantastic, I loved that scope, living in Perth WA certainly didn't hurt but nevertheless my first views of the moon and Saturn got me well and truly hooked and I'm still going strong 41 years on :D.

A Tasco refractor from Argos, 50mm I think, very bad optics and even worse ep's. Lets not talk about the mount.

Edited by Chris H

Had a little "Nelson style" hand held refractor for my 10th birthday - wasn't very good and I never turned it on the night sky unfortunately. Then a SW 150 EQ3-2 about 3yrs ago - made me wish I'd started the hobby a lot lot earlier. :D

A homemade 50mm 400mm fl refractor using og and eyepiece from H Burnett of Boston Lincs, circa 1958. Eyepiece was a 1/4" Ramsden quickly followed by a 3/4", saw a Martian pole cap with it. Never mounted, just hand held, used to take it to college on day release strapped to the pillion on my motorbike for solar obs at lunch time. It fell off on route one day and smashed to pieces, replaced it with a homemade 4" reflector, and as they say, the rest is history.