Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ebay Bargains

TopHouse

Having sold a few things on ebay myself, I've never once gone to the trouble of:

setting item on a table

hunting out my digital camera

finding the battery in the camera is dead

charging the battery

taking a few pictures

choosing the best

hunting for the cable to connect the camera to the laptop

copying the images over

thats like a good 30 minutes to an hour of pure annoyance.

So much easier to copy and paste someone elses image :D

Having sold a few things on ebay myself, I've never once gone to the trouble of:

setting item on a table

hunting out my digital camera

finding the battery in the camera is dead

charging the battery

taking a few pictures

choosing the best

hunting for the cable to connect the camera to the laptop

copying the images over

thats like a good 30 minutes to an hour of pure annoyance.

Funny that........I do everything you have just listed when i sell an item on line no matter where i sell it......

But then you run the risk of opening a can of worms over the actual item for sale not being the one in the listing photograph. It begs questions like "Do you have something to hide?"

And there could be copyright issues to consider...

To be honest, I think not providing your own image is just laziness.

Lee.

Copyright issues? Over using an image someone put up on eBay with no copyright logo?

And you're right it is laziness or put another way its efficient. I save myself an hour in which I can do something else and as long as the photo used is not misleading then there's no problem is there?

Copyright issues? Over using an image someone put up on eBay with no copyright logo?

And you're right it is laziness or put another way its efficient. I save myself an hour in which I can do something else and as long as the photo used is not misleading then there's no problem is there?

Having done quite a lot of e.baying we have found that the effort you put in to presenting and item is usually reflected in the price the item ends up selling for and also can impact feedback.

If someone cannot be bothered to present what they want to sell properly why should anyone be bothered to bid for it ?.

I guess the exception would be where what's being sold is a very standard item where a "stock" photo is good enough.

Doesn't sound like you have much regard for your potential customers ?.

The only customers I wouldn't have much regard for are ones who would make an issue of the photo not being taken by myself.

If the photo isn't misleading, if its of the correct item, if there's no damage to the item being sold then I would hold such people in extremely low regard indeed.

It's not like the photos on Amazon.com are of the actual item you buy.

If an auction on ebay (or anywhere online) doesn't show pictures of the actual item for sale, and has an official website description I am immediately suspect that the person selling doesn't have the actual item.

Often the condition of an item has quite a big impact on that value of an item... Plus if you take lots of pictures at least them you have record of the condition of the item when you sold it.

Ant

Whilst you would have photos of the item in the condition you sold it in, such photos would provide zero protection from an unscrupulous buyer.

Ebay is heavily weighted towards the buyer. It would be easy for you to be accused of taking the photos of another similar item and posting a different item.

As a seller on ebay you have very little protection. As a buyer, however, you can be pretty confident in your purchases... assuming you use paypal.

I feel though that this thread has strayed very wide of the original post. I clearly have a different Ebay selling strategy than some other people and I appreciate the helpful comments people have made regarding advice on how to increase the bidding on any future items I sell on Ebay.

All images are copyright, you do not need to put a copyright logo on them. The copyright belongs to the person that takes them.

Just because they are on the net, they are not free to use.

If I found anyone using any of my images without permission, they would get a hefty bill for the use. To use others images without permission, is theft.

Archie

And how much would you bill for a photo of a webcam you posted on the internet? Two or three pounds maybe?

If you're reasonable I might get you to do all my ebay photography from now on.

Copyright law is of a different era. It's Jurassic park legislation which is not long for the statute book.

And how much would you bill for a photo of a webcam you posted on the internet? Two or three pounds maybe?

If you're reasonable I might get you to do all my ebay photography from now on.

Copyright law is of a different era. It's Jurassic park legislation which is not long for the statute book.

I don't think you could afford the travelling expenses, never mind the photography.

So all professional photographers /musicians / artists what have you, should work for free, so you can earn money from your sales.

Archie

I think a stock picture is ok if the item is sold as, and is, new. As soon as it is a used item, I want to see the actual item or I won't buy. And that's ignoring the copyright point for now.

I generaaly don't buy listings that have no picture at all, now that the first picture is free on ebay.

And I agree that a nicely arranged listing makes me more likely to buy/bid than these listings that have one paragraph of plain unformatted text with hundreds of typos, all CAPS of various font sizes or randomly chosen colours, or all of the above.

On the other hand, sometimes one can really stike a good bargain from a bad listing. I sometimes try searches with common typos, like "maede" or "cannon", and find items that have far fewer bids. ;-)

I could post you the item, that way Id save on travelling expenses.

I dont think all photographers/musicians/artitsts should work for free, I think a free market should decide the value of the goods they're offering. If people decide theyd rather get the work or similar work for free or for much cheaper from a different source.... well no one has the right to make money from being an artist.

The internet has changed peoples perceptions of "content ownership". And amazing as it might sound if you search on the internet on the concept of "giving your stuff away free" as being a viable business model you'll be surprised at the results. Thats why Murdoch's "the times online" is going to die a long lingering death as a media outlet now that its decided to charge for its content.

If I value something I'll pay for it. So send me a sample of your ebay auction photographs and I'll decide if I value your work..... but like I said, if I like your work I'll post you the items... actually travelling somewhere to do something is also pretty out dated.

I buy and sell quite a lot of items on E-Bay and always take the effort to photograph and describe correctly the item I'm selling.

I for one will not be buying anything from you.

Archived