Astronomy and music?

badgerchap

Someone on another thread just mentioned listening to music whilst observing, and it gave me a thought: What kind of music do people associate with astronomy, and why? Or what kind of music do people listen to (if they indeed do) whilst observing?

Odd question, I know, but I'd be interested to know how other people feel about this. For me it's all about loud, enthusiastic classical, through earphones. Somehow makes the darkness seem darker and the detail finer.

Anyway, any thoughts?

I don't listen to music while using my scope - I'm usually far too absorbed in what I'm seeing, or slewing between targets and taking them in. Sometimes I just lay back and watch the Milky Way with the Cygnus Rift and star-filled constellations hang over me and I put my headphones in and listen to the occasional track to really get lost in it all. I don't have any favourites, but I tend to listen to music that means something to me, such as:

It's a fairly random collection, but these ones (plus some others) really strike a chord with me when thinking about life and feeling the night sky fill me up.

Earphones for me. But I only listen to music occationally, when the sun just starting to rise after a good night of imaging and observing I'll put on something like "Closing Time" by Tom Waits or "The Optimist" by Turin Brakes. Gives me goose bumps. :)

Chilled rock for me. Usualy either a Floyd album or a playlist of the more chilled out songs from say Led zep- foo fighters etc. and always on the headphones :D

Michael

Yeah, I forgot about the Floyd (sorry!). "Comfortably Numb" when doing a spot of naked eye is incredible. That solo at the end makes me want to wet myself lol lol

When peering at the cosmos and it's infinite beauty, my music has got to be either Pink Floyd or a burst of the classical, usually some "slit your wrists" Mahler...or occasionally some of Johann Strauss's Waltzes (a la 2001, a space odyssey ... very apt.)

I've never listened to music while observing. I'm probably still too busy trying to get to grips with everything.

But if I did, it would most likely be Pink Floyd - Pulse live.

Or some Trance / Chill Out / Tribal Trance once I've gone through my Pink Floyd collection.. ;-)

Archived