Narrowband

How comfortable do you feel when stargazing?

Holliday

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foxes make the worst sound to my mind, they sound like girls being strangled. I dont go out with my kit but have spent nights out in the countryside shooting.

I also have somewhere a balaclava with just eyeholes, I used to wear that whilst walking our dog late at night where all the local druggies used to hang out. If anyone was gonna be scared, it was them:D

Steve from FLO has a good story about animal sounds in the night :D

I do lock the door to my obsy when I am in the warm room at night.

Hi

I observe from a wild "back garden", up a cliff behind the house.

We have badgers and they scare the bejezus out of me at 2pm when I an concentrating om M13 and one suddenly goes past at a run grunting.

I have been known to throw apples to scare them off, but they just grunt more , eating them probably.

Just hold your sphincter and carry on observing, or take some spare pants.

The original theme of this thread "how comfortable do you feel when stargazing" was the sole reason why I joined a club (when I was in UK). Unfortunately most of the members observed at home and didn't want to meet up with a group because they had quite big rural gardens of their own, so mostly I was the only person going to the observing site; and my sole appearance made me feel very exposed to the chavscums who put the nearly-empty rural car park to other uses. After a few months I realised the club idea wasn't going to work for me; fortunately I met someone else who had the same problem we started to meet up for our own observing evenings, whenever it was clear. Our own 'observing site' was very light polluted, but secure. It was the hospital car park where he worked.

The irony was that I would drive from my reasonably light-polluted appartment, to our observing site *more* LP'd than where I lived. Sad state of the times.

How, one wonders, does one know the sound of "girls being strangled"????
I was wondering that too. But didn't want to type it .. :)

I didn't want to say anything either.... disturbing choice of words, TBH.

The Foxes around here have a raspy 'bark' that sounds like they're being hurt, and it took a while to get used to it even after i found out what it was. Despite knowing what it is, the sound still startles me when it explodes out of the darkness... makes my heart skip a few beats, lol.

Fledgeling Owls are the worst, though.. talk about a blood-curdling screech. :D I'm sure that's where the legends of the wailing Banshees came from.

I find the sounds of a dark sky site very peaceful compared to the noises of everyday life.

Sure you get the odd car sound every now and again but in the pitch black with the sounds of the bugs, foxes etc very peaceful.

More peaceful than in my back garden lately though. lol

I get the odd rustling from what I think must be hedgehogs or even toads in the flowerbeds and quite often hear foxes and owls. They can sometimes cause a little frisson but nothing compared to my son's rabbit who occasionally gets the fear and sits there thumping the floor of his hutch really loudly. It's usually OK but sometimes when I'm absorbed it can take a second or two before I realise it's not the sound of someone trying to break down the garden gate.

Usually pretty comfortable though but I'm not sure how I'd be far in a dark site far away from civilisation, especially one with potentially deadly beasties.

Before I moved to this (somewhat) darker site, I had my eye on a field behind a local cemetery! As ever, what seemed conveniently possible, during daylight hours, is a different prospect with muddy paths, overhanging branches and bridges over ditches to negotiate - All with a telescope in tow. But, give the current level of public death-paranoia, I suspect I would have been guaranteed peace... at least from the LIVING. :D

Archived