Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How comfortable do you feel when stargazing?

Holliday

Quite a strange question I suppose, but will be interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

After having been out about 10 or so nights now I hadn't really encountered any strange noises, until tonight. Waiting for Jupiter to come above the trees in my garden I suddenly heard scratching up the back fence. I realise this was just a cat or fox but it didn't half freak me out.

As relaxing as stargazing can be, sitting in the middle of a field or garden in the middle of the night in pitch black, I can't help but let my imagination get the better of me when such noises occur, maybe I'm just a big wuss!

How do you guys and gals find it?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are animals roaming around on my land which could easily kill me (Black Bear, Cougar, Wolf) but TBH, it's the two-legged variety that i'd personally feel the most threatened by. But since i'm on my own land, i feel perfectly comfortable. Besides, everyone knows i'm a darn good shot, and i made sure to tell a few 'key' local gossips that i always have my .22 with me. :)

Yeah, i feel nice and comfortable. :hello2::)

I worry more how comfortable the neighbours are about me lurking about at all hours in the dark !

As for the countryside / darker sites I love it. I used to do solitary wilderness walks in Northern Scotland for days at a time.

Would have to agree with Carol that it's the 2-legged creatures I find the 2-legged creatures more worrying than the 4-legged ones. However, unlike Carol, I have had to keep quiet about the rifle. Oops:eek:

Oh dear, i can hear the sound of the ARO's on their way to demons as i type :) :)

My wife and I were sitting in our back garden watching the Persieds last Saturday and she felt very uneasy. It felt normal to me as I am out there stargazing whenever I can, and must admit I do like the sounds of the odd creature snuffling through the undergrowth or screech of a bird as it goes about it's business. I find it very relaxing and peaceful.

I think my attempts at standing around in random areas of the UK - Public parks, local farmland... pub carparks, in the wee small hours (A few times I even got to dark-sites by TAXI!), left me convinced that it was just EASIER (on the mind) to do these thing from your "own land" too. So I moved house... :hello2:

Having done a lot of "country" walking - often WAAAAY after sunset, my main fears were falling into a drainage ditch (done that!) and the inevitable return to "civilisation" - Meaning small towns at (pub) "closing time". Even then, I think you can use your heightened senses to anticipate more obvious problems? :)

I still think that STANDING around with (quite expensive) hardware, amid the (odd!) nocturnal noises, can initially be a bit daunting. If the FAUNA were bigger and the laws allowed, I might consider (defensive!) weaponry. But I also found the celebration by some astronomers re. "packing more heat" than Ted Nugent(!) slightly disturbing. :)

Salutary advice:

:hello2:

I do get freaked out by people, but TBH I'm more worried about what they think of me, this weirdo hanging around alone in the dark at 4am!

I think most people around my way have got used to me being a fixture. They may think it weird, but not suspicious - unless that is why there are always police cars driving through the estate in the early hours.

I maintain that me being outside & obvious actually helps the security of the area - at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it:)

@ Demonperformer - I suppose if there are any burglaries in the area, you can get a nice good close up of the perp lol

TBH I probably would not even notice unless it was next door. But I don't suppose any potential burglar would know that. Unless they happen to be reading this ...

Archived