Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
LITTLE COL

cleaning eye pieces

It's best to clean them as little as possible; I've seen one or two refractor objectives ruined because somebody has bought a lens cloth from an optician and rubbed the lens with it, which drags bits of dust across the surface and creates scratches. I use a Lens Pen, which does the job very well indeed, but many people swear by Opticlean, which creates a surface on the lens which you peel off, and it brings all the muck with it. Anything you rub with, such as the cleaning cloths suppied with many types of binocular, is best avoided. I also avoid the aerosol cleaning fluids sold by opticians - some are said damage lens coatings.

I understand the brush(!) but what is on the other end of this pen?

Its a small circular, slightly concave, pad that looks like soft leather. There is a safe cleaning compound inside the cap which is applied to the tip as the cap is removed and replaced.

Cleaning compounds are normally not recommended but having used these daily (back when I worked for LCE) for several years, I recommend this one. No residue or build-up whatsoever. In fact, if I hadn't been told that there was cleaning compound in the cap, I'd never have guessed!

BTW, the mistake everybody makes when buying a lens brush is they brush their hand or fingertips - don't do it! You transfer skin oils onto the brush which attracts dirt and ends up on the optic.

I bought the one you have pictured there at my local Black's, and have used it to clean various types of smudges off eps and filters, with good results. I reasoned that anything that can clean a coated camera lens can clean a coated ep. I might look for one of those "spay-on peel-off" jobbies for objectives, though. It sounds like colloidon (sp?) which is a kind of liquid bandage that is available at some chemist's, and I have seen it recommended for use in cleaning mirrors. It is also explosive. :)

I find the peel-off cleaner excellent but it tends to stick around the lens edges and look untidy, if you aren't careful.

Does anyone remember Cat Rubbish!

http://tinyurl.com/65dpt

Does anyone remember Cat Rubbish!

Most antifog solutions are detergent based. You can get the same effect by wiping your windshield with a cloth and dishwashing liquid. Same with your glasses. I wouldn't do it with an objective, though. Or an eyepiece.

Quite right,

I had it on test a few years back and it was remarkably good but I was concerned that it would leave a residue so stoped using it.

I imagine it is good for visors/goggles.

Steve, does that peel off lens cleaner get grease/oil off lenses too? Does Auntie FLO sell it?

I haven't tried it on grease/oil but then grease/oil is easily removed with a micro-fibre lens cloth. The peel off cleaner is something you use only occasionally when the coatings begin to look jaded and regular cleaning doesn't work.

Auntie FLO does intend stocking it. I have just begun listing Accessories but it is an enormous section and data entry is a tedious mind-numbing and eye-glazing task - it might be a while before it is finished!

I stop and look out of the window periodically just to check that I can still focus on infinity!