Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Almost.... need to check the alignment next time...

2nd attempt at a lond duration startrail image around the NCP...remembered the dew heater this time...

BCF Modified Canon 1000D With CLS-CCD Clip in Canon 35-105 EF at 35mm @ f3.5 6 hours + of 60s exposures at ISO400

I had to take and hour + of either end of the data as it was too light...

I'm running the camera of one of my regulated (7.4V) 2400 mAH battery packs which gives around 10 hours of open shutter on a full charge...

NCP%20Startrail%206%20hours%20plus.jpg

Peter...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a lovely clean image that is. One of the best circumpolars I've clapped eyes on this one Peter.

Were you in a remote location for this, seeing as you used the battery pack, and not the PSU?

ron.:):icon_salut:.

Cheers Chaps - the NCP was supposed to be dead center of the frame.. but missed a bit (well a lot really)

Just Stuck on the verranda outside the front room door Ron...

That way I could Doze on the sofa and run the dew heaters from the mains.. I might knock up a battery powered dew heater controller as it was only drawing 0.26A I can get 8 hours out of one of the NimH battery packs

I am not sure if its a meteor or a flare I caught one the night before as well and the path length is almost identical...

I fancy doing one of these mid winter so I can get 12 hours+

The CLS-CCD (essential as Polaris is directly above a streetlight from this location) does muck up the star colour though :)

Need to get some more LP filters to go with the DSLR's .. I fancy tracking down the Hutech IDAS as a clip in...

Peter...

Thanks peeps...

Still cant identify the Flare i synced all my camera to UTC again yesterday and the frame with the flare in it was exposed between 21:36 and 21:37 UTC (15-08-2010)

The center of the flare is at approximately RA 05h 15m 43s DEC +80d 38m 11s (J2000) and passes in front of SAO 783....

Flare%20Annotated.jpg

Here's just the flare BnW inverted and stretched to show extended path...

Flare%20BnW.jpg

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers Stewart...

Hopefully get a 12hour one this winter ... thats the plan and nail the alignment on the NCP...

Pop up here mid December and you could almost squeeze in a good 16 hrs worth.

Best of luck on the 12 hour one though,should look way cool.:)

Found this shot on the intrawebnet of an 11 hour trail. http://www.astronet.ru/db/xware/msg/1216323

Thanks S5 for the link will have to decide on what FL to use I havent got anything Photo genic to include in the foreground though :)

Thanks Ron for looking for "possibilities" in Starrynight pro... I have done the same in The Sky 6 and cant find anything either... i will reduce the number of minor planets loaded (at the moment over 450k) and increase the number of Satellites (just got the brightest 252) and see if anything pops out... Heavens Above didnt throw anything up either...

Peter...

George - I think its a satellite as well as the trial in and out is too clean.. I still havent found out which it is though ...

I am Hoping to have in IDAS clip in for the next attempt...should help a lot with the star colours...

Reasonably happy with the result from the EF 35-105 it the early f3.5-4 variant.

Peter...

Great shot Peter.

If you're concerned about being slightly off centre, how about rotating the image 90º clockwise. The balance works really well with the central ring higher in the frame and well placed on the centre line. Or just go for a square crop...

Archived