thinking of getting a new pair of binoculars

After seeing M31 and the Double Cluster through binoculars last night, I'm thinking of getting new binoculars. I'm looking at these two varieties:

Telescope House Meade Travelview 8-24x50 Zoom Binoculars

and

Telescope House Meade 10x50 Binoculars Special Offer

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. I'm looking at spending less than £50...

Hi Ags

I had a pair of these Celestron 15 x 70's and cannot praise them highly enough for the price I paid £80.00 and thought they were great value. Celestron - Celestron Skymaster 15x70

They do however need to be tripod mounted unless you adopt the sun-lounger method of viewing. I would not go for the zooms. They may be OK for wildlife and general day use but unsuitable for astronomy. They have more to go wrong and the collimation will no doubt be out when you view stars. Add to that they will be very dim and have a small exit pupil.

I cannot comment on the Meades having never used them. Secondhand is always an option on ebay or a thread in the wanted section on the forum.

Paul

The 15x70 offer from FLO is very tempting, but the my idea is to get something with a lower power than my 16x50s... I'm thinking of a 10x50 or 7x50. I guessed the zoom was a bad idea, thanks for confirming that.

Ags

That is a great offer from FLO I have 5 pair of binos and I started of 8x16x40

I am now up to 20x80 with others in between I use 15x80 the most so I can see M31 ect

I think the 15x70 are a good choice and a great price let us know what you deside on

Doug

Essex

Archived