SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

which megrez im totally confused

hi i am looking at getting a megrez and have seen these two but dont really know which to go for as i dont know which is newer or better any help would be great thanks the two are

William Optics Megrez 80m/m APO Super-Triplet TMB.

or

Megrez 80 II triplet f7

:p

The 'super-triplet' Megrez is based around the TMB 80/480 triplet lens, which is a superb piece of optics. William Optics used it in their Megrez 80mm tube (other manufacturers had versions with their own aluminium or carbon fibre tubes). I had one, and wish i'd never sold it. It's just about as good as an 80mm 'scope can get, although for imaging you should be aware that it needs a field flattener.

The Megrez 80II is a more mid-range 'scope, with lesser (but still very respectable) optics. I'd expect it to be considerably cheaper than the 80/480.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for letting me know this as I was also confused. Is the TMB megrez the best 80mm apo that money can buy? Can it be fitted with a dual speed rotatable crayford focuser? Is it made with FPL-53 glass or FPL-51?

There seems to be so many William Optics fracs at 80mm ranging from doublets and triplets and different names like zenithstar and megrez etc. I dont have a clue what the diferences are. Could somebody enlighten me! ;)

I'm thinking of getting one as a travel scope.

cheers

Thanks for letting me know this as I was also confused. Is the TMB megrez the best 80mm apo that money can buy? Can it be fitted with a dual speed rotatable crayford focuser? Is it made with FPL-53 glass or FPL-51?

There seems to be so many William Optics fracs at 80mm ranging from doublets and triplets and different names like zenithstar and megrez etc. I dont have a clue what the diferences are. Could somebody enlighten me! ;)

I'm thinking of getting one as a travel scope.

cheers

If buying a used Megrez 80 TMB watch out for the earlier ones as they aren't actually 80mm but were masked down to about 77.5 mm due to problems with CA. I got that info from the optics designer that WO brought in to sort out the problems with the scope when it was introduced and he put the problems down to poor lens cell and OTA design and told WO there was nothing he could do until the lens cell and OTA were replaced. The latest version does have a re-designed OTA and lens cell. It is an FPL-53 triplet and does have the rotatable focuser.

The WO 80FD FPL-53 doublet is a really good scope and well worth looking out for.

William Optics scopes are a curious mix. They make a some outstanding scopes and some very ordinary ones. Almost as though they are made by two different companies.

The ultimate 80mm APO would have to be the Officina Stellar 80mm f / 6 Super APO - LZOS - Carbon.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/de/info/p3994_.html

One other scope to look out for is the new Telescope Service TS 80/480 FPL-53 triplet. excellent optics and only about £530.00.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3881_TS-Triplet-FPL53-Apo-80-480mm---f-6---kein-stoerender-Farbfehler.html

John

Archived