Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Found Uranus

badgerchap

Finally managed to tease Uranus out from the darkness! Really difficult, as it first looks like a dim star in the FOV. colour was how I found it, a slight minty green, and of course, no flicker. Took me about 30mins to find it, even using Jupiter as a signpost. Really worth it in the end, as I felt like I'd really worked for it, unlike something as obvious as M42, which is rewarding at all. OK, so here's the question:

If it's this hard to find Uranus, does anyone have any advice about how to spot Neptune?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is about 1.5 degrees from mu Cap at the moment.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/110714-project-august.html has pics of the general area and approximate path it will follow. mu cap is off the right hand side of the picture. diameter of the picture is approximately 1 degree.

Personally, I find the six-star pattern at the bottom right to be particularly helpful:

Hehe - thanks for that! Armed with your sound advice, out I went, only to spend 2 hours waiting for a band of very stubborn cloud to move out of the way. It was the only cloud in the sky and it stayed there all night! Grrrrr! And no more clear skies since, so unfortunately, neptune will have to wait!

With Uranus and Neptune I check the position on Starry Night and then pop out onto the balcony with my bins - makes spotting them much easier. Once you know where they are keeping a track on them is a doddle.

Found Uranus for the first time just a few minutes ago! Quite faint and small but definately green. Now think I've got Neptune but can't see a disc or colour. Is that about right for a 100mm f9 refractor with a cheap 5mm EP??

Even if it isn't Neptune I'm chuffed to bits with Uranus!

I've just been out tonight and found Uranus for the first time ever. Fantastic. Used Jupiter as a signpost and directions from Stellarium it was really easy to find tonight. Blinking clouds kept getting in the way though but I'm well chuffed now. Just Neptune left to see, can't wait. Beautiful.

It is about 1.5 degrees from mu Cap at the moment.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/110714-project-august.html has pics of the general area and approximate path it will follow. mu cap is off the right hand side of the picture. diameter of the picture is approximately 1 degree.

Personally, I find the six-star pattern at the bottom right to be particularly helpful:

Nice one DP, this helped me find Neptune last night for the first time ;)

It also confirms that I was correct as it was exactly where the map shows. In the scope I found both Uranus and Neptune are definitely different to stars and an obvious small disc at reasonable magnification (I saw them both in my 6" at 200x). In the finder the asterism you pointed out was very helpful as a 'pointer'.

Cannot wait for a better night of seeing although I suspect the detail wont be any greater

Cheers!

Shane

So which is the more rewarding? Finding it or looking at it?

Steve

Finding it was quite rewarding but then so was looking at it. Ok, so I've no chance of seeing any detail but just seeing that little disk was pretty cool.

Archived