Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone else out last night?

Very windy but pretty clear down Bristol way. Counted 6 stars in M45, saw the milky way, gazed at Taurus and Orion.

The whole evening was punctuated by very bright, colourful meteors - left smoky trails and stuff like that. Not too frequent but I did see three within about 5 seconds and all in slightly different directions. Bit like what the Ewoks much have sen when looking skyward at the end of Return of the Jedi.

Great compliment to the evening - especially when I did not know that they were expected.

Anthony

Out from 8 till midnight - crystal clear. Saw a few meteors (maybe 8 or 9) but only TWO from the direction of Orion - largest and brightest was heading S to N and was an absolute beauty of a firey streak. Had the scope sat with it's new drive pointed at D cluster... solid - Very successful test - totally smooth tracking with no adjustment needed the whole time, so the drive is a good n and my polar alignment must've been good too. One meteor zipped straight across the view in the scope just as I was checking the view at about 2330 - flukey get! Most of the night I sat wrapped up in the comfy recliner with my bins. Had a wonderful night and then at midnight a huge bank of cloud looking FULL of purpose rolled over - 'twas like the anti-body that did for Donald Pleasence in Fantastic Voyage. Packed up satisfied and went back inside for a warmer. Looked out at 1am at a cloud filled sky so that was indeed the end of the night here in the South Midlands.

Archived