SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 & M82 Bode's Nebula(s)

adamh

Hi,

This one is a dozen or so 60s subs on a canon 50d. They were fairly low so light pollution was significant. I've stacked in DSS, and processed in PixInsight (trial, which I'm loving btw).

I think I may have overdone the noise removal and taken some detail out of the wispy arms of M81. I think should have another go.

Thanks for looking,

Adam

M81 & M82 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

post-18563-133877469372_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link they look like useful tutorials. The video tutorials and the worked examples on the PixInsight site are quite good too. (Once you get over the robot voice).

Thanks Harry,

I'll try and get through them all before my trial period expires! I've experimented with quite a few different tools to try and process my (basic) astrophotos and PixInsight seems to be far and away the best. It certainly has the most coherent user interface. I don't quite understand why everyone isn't using it, unless it's because it is processing only and not capture too.

Adam

Thanks Kris.

John, no I'm not guiding at the moment as I'm really just starting out on all this. If I carefully align I seem to be able to get 60 seconds easily, although 1 in 6 will be wonky, I guess this means I need to PEC train. I think I might be able to increase the exposure a little bit from here, but light pollution is already a big issue at moment (London...). I do have a UHC filter on order which is magically going to fix all of this :p

Nice clean image Adam. They are faint but you can see the outer regions of M81. You could push it harder and make things more obvious but with only 12 minutes of data it would be very noisy and probably spoil things. Looks like you've handled the LP very well

Thanks Harry,

I'll try and get through them all before my trial period expires! I've experimented with quite a few different tools to try and process my (basic) astrophotos and PixInsight seems to be far and away the best. It certainly has the most coherent user interface. I don't quite understand why everyone isn't using it, unless it's because it is processing only and not capture too.

Adam

Hi

I think there is a lot of resistance to PI as a lot of people have invested a lot of time in photoshop and are unwilling to try something different:confused:

If you are new to this imaging lark Pi is not so alien as it seems to other people.

Harry

Archived