Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bringing telescope to the beach

ykket

I live across the pond in NY (Long Island to be specific) and have a friend who can drive his truck out onto the beach. We did this last weekend and a bunch of us just sat there and it was crystal clear out and we saw so many stars and some satellites, Jupiter, some shooting stars (and one weird one that was zig-zagging and changing speed and direction before dissappearing :s) and I think the Milky Way. My question is, is it safe to bring a telescope onto the beach? I know sand can probably hurt the mirrors if it gets on it, but could the salt water in the air cause issues as well?

It's ok ykket. I think it is a great idea to observe on the beach. Just needs a modicum of care and I wouldn't bother if it is windy with the sand and salt being blown around. Great if you can share your views with any interested non astronomers, nothing like seeing Jupiter for the first time

Alright, thank you. When I was there, there was just a slight breeze coming off the ocean but nothing besides that. We all had a thrill seeing some shooting stars and satellites and everything. It's what sparked my interesting in astronomy again.

Archived