Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

jamie@bristol

Greetings.

Hello folks, my name is Jamie and i live in Bristol, UK. Like many Ive always been fascinated with the night sky. About 10 years ago i bought a celestron newtonian telescope and while it was adequate i always wanted to see more. I learned how to use a planisphere and compass and enjoy the work inolved in reading my way around the night sky. Im trying to decide which scope to buy in a months time (a birthday present from my amazingly patient fiancee) and have been drawn to the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. Any feedback about the quality and optical power would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mayberts, thank you for the welcome. Im near Avonmouth. not the best place for night time viewing, light pollutions a real hindrance here, but im lucky enough to be close to the Severn bridge, so a quick drive to Chepstow Park in South Wales makes all the difference. Some amazing sights over there with very dark skies.

I am from Whitchurch the other side of Bristol and I normally go to the in laws, they live in Chew Magna, it's a village in the middle of nowhere with no street lights.

I am a newbie and I have just bought a skywatcher explorer 130p with an EQ 2 mount, which I love.

I will let the more experience people explain and advise on scopes :p

Very nice scope, was looking at one earlier today. I have decided to get the

Skywatcher Dobsonian 200p. So unless someone can steer me away from it, Ill have it next month. And i cant wait!

Edited by jamie@bristol

Welcome to SGL Jamie. I have no experience with Dobs so cannot comment on the quality, though plenty of other on the site do rave about them so I do not think you will go far wrong. One thing you do need to consider is whether you just want to view or whether you might want to start to image. If imaging is of interest, then I understand the Dob is not the most suitable type of scope for this.

Enjoy whatever you do order.

Hi moonlander, thanks for your feedback. Im still quite new to all this, and this will be my first 'dob'. I dont think ill be imaging just yet, but no doubt later on it will something for me to consider. hopefully by that time ill have saved enough to buy shares in Hubble :p

Hi Jamie

I think that is a good choice, IMHO 200P Dobsonian would be the smallest in a light

polluted area but in dark skies WOW you are going to love it and it's portable

Doug

Essex

Edited by Doug

Hi Jamie - welcome to the group :p

The 200P is a great choice and if you have a dark site conveniently near then it even better. I'd recommend the use of a Wixey angle guage. You can set the altitude and then scan in azimuth for the object you're after. Makes it a lot easier and for only approx £25.

Cheers!

Hi Jamie, welcome to SGL.

If you don't want to image, then the 200p would be a very good scope for you. You get some great views of things.

That's a nice prezzy to be getting!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on when you get it! :p

Hi Jamie and welcome from another Bristol"ish" based astronomer. Bristol is a bit like a big fire on the horizon with the LP. Lucky to be close to to Chepstow

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, im very pleased to meet you all. Thank you for the feedback and advice on the back of which im going to get the Skywatcher 200p, and maybe the celestron eyeopener EP set. Hopefully get some good views with these. I will keep you all posted as and when i get my new 'toy' :p Expect some very excited posts closer to the date!

Hi Jamie and welcome :)

I fly a Skywatcher 200P dob. It really is a fantastic scope, last night I was looking at the ring nebula in all it's glory. It will allow you to split double stars with ease including the Double-Double.

One really big plus which I didnt realise until today is how comfortable it is. Sitting on a chair it is at the perfect viewing height no matter what angle you are pointing the telescope at. It is also light enough to be able to carry outside just by picking the whole thing up by it's handles.

It also keeps great collimation. The laser collimator I bought with it has only needed to be used once when I first got the scope (2 months ago) :p

Edited by KingOfColly

Hi Jamie,

A very warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.