• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got two clear spells.

00:00 - 00:45 = 14 meteors seen

3:30 - 4:30 = 20 meteors seen

7 really bright ones with clear trails.

So. Result. Worth staying up for.

Got a good luck at Jupiter and the plaedies as well.

My condolences to those of you who were clouded out completely.

Got a good luck at Jupiter and the plaedies as well.

Congrats on the Perseids viewing, I saw a fair few as well from about 10.30 - 12.30.

When do the pleiades show though? At about 12 Jupiter made an appearance from behind a low easterly blanket of cloud, but how long after Jupiter rises do the Pleiades rise?

Had a great evening last night, drove to the common, way above any streetlights etc, and arrived to thick blanket of cloud. Within half hour it way moving on and the darkness fell - had the camera at the ready - then from behind us came 2 really bright lights swirling round and round - grrr someone had decided tonight was the night to give there remote control helicopters a spin - did they not know I was there waiting to see the meteors.

Anyway the battery soon died :p - cue evil laugh!!

And then the show began - WOW - first ever meteor shower - totally in awe. Had the bonus of Jupiter in the clear skies also.

Flask of coffee and a good old pork pie helped while away the hours at 11.30 hehe and we gave up around 12.30 - couldnt get the day of work :)

Anyway took around 60 pics and after having a quick skim through them at home there were no meteors to see :D However, I downloaded them and behold on 3 photos you can see the trails - how made up was I!!

So all in all a very good night in Gloucester and considering the amount of cloud cover we had during the day, it could not have been better.

Its clear this evening. I might stay up and have a look for a few Perseids. I have a 7am flight so need to leave the house at 3am. I know if i go to bed early (10pm) i wont sleep so i may as well just stay up and grab a few meteors. Its a 4 hr flight so i can sleep then.

The dog has been in boarding kennels since lunchtime. Its her first time away from home. Its my first time at home without her.

The beer is going down very nicely.

I'll most likely regret it but this is the start of my first holiday in nearly 4 yrs.

Congrats on the Perseids viewing, I saw a fair few as well from about 10.30 - 12.30.

When do the pleiades show though? At about 12 Jupiter made an appearance from behind a low easterly blanket of cloud, but how long after Jupiter rises do the Pleiades rise?

About half-eleven in the north east. You have to wait a bit after them rising though, unless you have a really good horizon. I would say look east around 3pm.

Manchester is it's cloudy self as per usual :D

patience is a virtue, ye right, and mine is wearing very thin :p.

Ah well, at least i have Greece to look forward to in 4 weeks, i'm going to try and find some lower latitude objects that cant normally be seen in the UK :).

Archived