Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

pipinleshrew

first night nerves

ok im 35 and have never looked through a telesope, after tonight ill never be able to say that again, any advice on where to point her (are they female like cars, do you give them a name) would be much appreciated, im in east london so not expecting to much beacause of the light pollution.

m

THe moon would be good but there's no moon tonight! Wait up till midnight, then point your telescope at the bright 'star' low in the east - that is jupiter. You should be able to see the flattened disk of juptier and some of its moons.

Do you know the constellations at all? Point your scope at the head of Cygnus the swan. That is the double star Albireo - a pretty pair of stars, blue and yellow.

Edited by Ags

Hi M.and a warm welcome to the forum and if we get a clear night Ags is spot on

Doug

Essex

Make sure your finder scope is aligned while it is still light! Point the scope at the corner of a building (it's easy to find a building corner - find an edge and then creep along till you get to a corner) and then adjust the finder so it is also pointed at the corner.

Took my first look at Jupiter last night , as i was fortunate to have clear skies, and well worth the wait was most impressed . As others have mentioned it would be a good starting point i believe

Hi and welcome to the group, M. :p

To get an idea what's out there, try downloading Stellarium, a free astro program that's very popular. Regarding names, it really doesn't matter. Mine are Punkin', Cassie, Lyra, Snoopy and Seymour. :)

A great piece of free planetarium software called stellarium is a great way to see what`s above us at any one time.

Hi M, Welcome to SGL. A good place to start is Stellarium. I use it to plan my observation evenings. Jupiter is just about the brightest thing in the night sky and well worth a look.

Naming scopes, talking to them etc is all normal for us lot. :)

Have fun with your scope (and names yet?)

Mine are Punkin', Cassie, Lyra, Snoopy and Seymour. :D

Seymour - 16" dob by any chance? :p

Hi from me too I am in Essex and tonight i was sure the BBC promised us clear skies tonight so i set up my Scope early... and just about got a glimpse of Jupiter and a very nice orange perseid shot overhead bright orange! then the clouds appeared as if from nowhere and now i am in bed hoping it will clear enogh to get out there again ,, yes welcome to our hobby - hope you have alot of patience coz on nights like these you will surely need it !

Welcome to SGL.

I think that the cloud is quite patchy - as I'm also in essex and it's clear for me.

Another really nice object is the double cluster - if you have stellarium - look between Perseus and Cassiopeia (Half way up in the NE)

Cheers

Ant

Enjoy the forum, your very welcome.

JohnH.

Hi!

Hope you had a clear night, if your out tonight theres always the meteor shower if its clear, you wont need your scope but it would be great to look at while you are outside!

Have fun

:p

Hi M,

A very warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.