SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Perseid fireball with trail lasting 10 seconds south Hampshire

Hi, whilst on a Perseid watch between 01:12-02:12 BST i witnessed a fireball at 01:42BST it dissapered above Aries and left a trail that went from greenish to white and lasted about 10 seconds. did anyone else see this one?

drat! missed that one as i finished my dslr tinkering at around 0140

Saw two previous to this one... the one at around 0118 lasted about a second and half and left a long trail that was blue and brilliant white

the other i saw was about half a second duration and brilliant white

I saw a very bright flash in the east at 1.42am from Taunton and turned round to see a trail that took quite a long time to dissipate - I guess it's the same one :p

I did think at the time there must have been others who'd see it.

James

Yep saw it also. I cant be sure of the time but i did see the same thing above Aries. The night before i saw a brilliant orange "ball" skimming along the house behind. It was as if it was just floating along. I say it was a "ball" because it was perfectly round. I have seen similar objects during the Geminids meteor shower but they were green and appeared to just float along. Could they be meteors that are being observed almost head on?................

Yes... I saw that one too... I initially timed it at 01:53, but having seen this report (and others) I checked my watch (auto-winder) and found it to be about 10 mins fast(!) - It was awesome! I just wish I had my camera trained there at the time...

Over the last few nights (through cloud gaps), I've seen quite a few this year (my first time looking), one of which was fairly bright a few nights ago, but nothing like that one. I just hope the clouds blow away again tonight like they did last night (please?)

Hello, just searching the web to find out what I saw Wednesday 2am mid Devon while camping: amid Perseid shower, a bright green flash and green trail (like a firework) - a fat but not long trail but seemed slow, a couple of seconds. Bright enough to leave an after image on my eye. Is this what is called a fireball? Koy

Hi Koy. A fireball is generally any meteor that is at least as bright as Venus. If it gets really bright and breaks up into smaller pieces just before it vanishes and leaves a fiery train behind then it is called a Bolide. What you saw definitely comes under the term fireball and/or bolide.

I saw this one! the brightest one I've ever seen i think! Very impressive. I swear I heard it scream over as well :p Didn't capture it on camera unfortunately, though I did photograph one about 20 minutes or so before it. I'll stick it up tomorrow/in the morning. B-B

If it gets really bright and breaks up into smaller pieces just before it vanishes and leaves a fiery train behind then it is called a Bolide
I wasn't aware of that... Thanks! I now know it was a Bolide my wife and I saw in the Maldives in October 2003. I'd been calling it a meteor for ages - It was a lot slower than a Perseid though, the trail much thicker, and close to the red end of the spectrum until it broke up first into 2 red fireballs, and then one of those broke up again into 3. It was our first night on the island and the icing on the cake for such a beautiful place!

I always thought that the difference between a meteor and a meteorite was that the latter managed to make it through the atmosphere and reach the earth's surface, but I guess that's not quite right as it would probably be a Bolide before it was a meteorite(?)

I wasn't aware of that... Thanks! I now know it was a Bolide my wife and I saw in the Maldives in October 2003. I'd been calling it a meteor for ages - It was a lot slower than a Perseid though, the trail much thicker, and close to the red end of the spectrum until it broke up first into 2 red fireballs, and then one of those broke up again into 3. It was our first night on the island and the icing on the cake for such a beautiful place!

I always thought that the difference between a meteor and a meteorite was that the latter managed to make it through the atmosphere and reach the earth's surface, but I guess that's not quite right as it would probably be a Bolide before it was a meteorite(?)

Yeah Bolides dont make it to the surface. Meteorites do. Well they aint called meteorites UNTIL they make it to the ground.

I think it goes something like this:

Meteoroid=small particle floating around in space

Meteor=small particle burning up in earths atmosphere

Fireball=small particle burning up in earths atmosphere that is as bright or brighter then Venus

Bolide= small particle that breaks up into smaller particles as it burns up in atmosphere

Meteorite=small particle that burns up in atmosphere but is large enough for some material to survive the burnup and make it to ground.

I saw a couple of bright ones between 10:40 and 11:20 in between cloud shifts. They moved North to South from way below Cassiopeia to Just had the Olympus E-500 fixed on the Snapper T/Pod. Got fed up of waiting for the clear spell promised by the pseudo weather f/casters, and gave up at 12:40 AM.

Ron.:p

I saw one that night - viewing North (Romsey to Braishfield direction) it fell a different direction to all others in that it looked to be 'falling' rather than shooting across. Probably the slowest shooting star I have seen and as it got lower to the horizon split into 5.... I made a bit of a racket of 'ooooh' and woke the wife up as not seen one like that before.

how big are the particles for meteors/meteorites/bolide etc? I know they're pretty small, like the size of a grain of sand or gravel, I suppose what I'd like to know is what's the smallest they have to be to still make it to ground?

I guess it depends a lot on the angle and speed it comes in at, but roughly.

Also in Armageddon when New York gets hit and Truman says its a meteor shower - does that make him wrong and it was actually a meteorite shower?

Hi, whilst on a Perseid watch between 01:12-02:12 BST i witnessed a fireball at 01:42BST it dissapered above Aries and left a trail that went from greenish to white and lasted about 10 seconds. did anyone else see this one?

Yes!

I saw that one whilst camping in Dorset - knocked my socks off!!

It left a bright scar in the sky. I had my lovely 12x Helios Aquilla binoculars to hand and took a look. Illuminated by the residual light was an amazing, long, spiralling smoke plume which looked eerie and fantastic in the light.

It was a sight I'll never forget.

Fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived