Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guide scope mounting?

Hello all ;)

Well my very first AP setup is coming along nicely i think, just a few more bits to get and then i can get started.

I just got a new ST80 home for use as a guide scope, however although you can see by my picture that its sitting on their....well its not right is it? :D I need some kind of dovetail dont I?

I just dont get why they put that one large threded screw on top of one of the scope rings? it screws in nicely to the small mounting plate that came with the ST80 but its kind off loose and i dont think it would be secure enough to keep a good track on a star, plus i have seen from other peoples pictures of there similer setups that use a dovetail type platform that fits on top of the main sope rings and then to the guide scope rings. But i have a spare small (synta i think?) dovetail but i couldnt see a way of fitting them togeather.

I have a feeling the answer is right in front of me but i just cant see it :)

Could someone maybe send me a link to a supplier that sell's what i need or just explain to me what is needed here?

Also after attaching everything to the scopes im a touch out of balance on the DEC so i think im in need of a longer dovetail for my main scope as i can't shift it any further in the rings. My question here is; I like the small dovetail i just got because it has the apropriate grooves in it to secure it with the screws that are on the mount head. But i cant seem to find a supplier that does a longer dovetail with the grooves in it. Just flat ones and that scares me a little as this is months of saving my hard earned cash, and it would kill me to see it smashed to peaces if it all fell off.

So again can someone send me a link if they know of one. Or is there any reson why i couldn't just mount a longer dovetail on top of my short one?

I hope you can make sense of my rambling :p im not the best at writing what im thinking! lol

A big thanks in advance folks! :(

Michael

post-19381-13387746852_thumb.jpg

Um, yes, I agree that the one 1/4" screw mounting the ST80 to the front ring of your main imaging scope isn't looking too secure.

Try bridging the ST80 dovetail across both rings on the imaging scope.

You may have to drill another hole in the ST80 dovetail to do this.

As for suppliers; First Light Optics, Rother Valley Optics, etc.

The top 1/4" screw is a piggyback mount for a lightweight camera, not so good to hold a guide scope.

I use a longer dovetail ( to match the one on the ED80) and mounted it to the top of the ED80 rings using M6 countersunk bolts/ nuts (remove the ED80 1/4" bolt). Then drill a couple of 6mm holes in the new dovetail to suit the spacing required for the ST80 (probably around 150mm) and fit the ST80 rings with M6 bolts.

Ken

ps A new longer dovetail on the ED80 to mount would replace the small one you currently have.

cheers for the replys guys, thats helped alot.

Didnt think though in this day and age i would have to be drilling off the shelf products? not that it will be a problem, just thought you could buy these things ready to go.

Anyway much appreciated! :p

So...shopping list...2 x M6 countersunk bolts & a longer dovetail.

Thanks again.

Michael

cheers for the replys guys, thats helped alot.

Didnt think though in this day and age i would have to be drilling off the shelf products? not that it will be a problem, just thought you could buy these things ready to go.

There are "swiss cheese" products out there with more holes "off-the shelf"... but they will usually cost you more than a simple dovetail...

Peter...

Archived